b Vent stove to direct vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

glennj

Oct 27, 2021
vermont
Hi, I have an existing free standing gas stove (not a fireplace insert) that is naturally vented (b vent) up through my ceiling. I'm thinking about getting a new stove and it's a direct vent. I'm pretty clueless about this stuff.... Will a direct vent fit where my current b vent is going through the ceiling/roof (see pic) or will someone be making a bigger whole??? Thanks in advance....

bvent.jpg

The existing Class A pipe will remain in place, so no new hole will be required.
You will need to remove the existing B-Vent all the way to the cap.
The adapter from B-Vent to Class A will need to be replaced with a
Direct Vent to Class A adapter.
The cap will have to be changed out as well.
The new DV pipe will run to a new DV to Class A adapter.
From that adapter, to the cap, there will be a new 4" flexible aluminum vent,
which will be attached to the adapter at the bottom & the new DV cap at the top.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Bob... That's exactly the info I was looking for. Now I don't have to worry about someone ripping up my 1 year old roof to install a direct vented gas stove.