Baby Countryside "help" Requested ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kst8rfan

Jan 2, 2018
Salina, KS
I am a new member here and I have owned a used Magnum Baby Countryside for a few years. It is located in my shop which is 40'x40' with insulated walls and 11' tall insulated ceiling & concrete floor. To say that I am a novice even after 3 yrs of using the stove is an understatement, but I have learned quite bit about my stove from reading the pages of previous posts on this forum. I have experimented with cleanup methods, various burn pot modifications, damper control experiments, etc.... and I still find myself "babysitting" this stove every winter. I am merely wanting to keep the temperature in my shop between 45-55 degrees and I can't seem to get it to happen during cold snaps (right now it is on setting #3 and it won't get the shop to 40 degrees. It is 10 degrees outside). I live in Salina, KS. Are there any Baby Countryside experts in my area that would be able to help ???

I am burning pellet fuel. When on setting #2 or #3, the pellets burn as fast as they are augered in which creates a very small fire and thus very little heat. If I go to setting #4, it will burn a larger flame, but will eventually buildup after only 6-8 hrs and I will have to dump it out and start all over. I have toyed around with the fresh air damper, plugging and opening holes in the burn pot, among everything else I can think of. I have not measured the heat coming out of the stove, but I can tell you that I can place my hand actually on the stove where the heat comes out without burning my hand. If on #2 or #3 it is lukewarm to the touch and on #4 it becomes a little uncomfortable, but not too hot to burn me.

So, in short..... I am looking for more heat and a consistent burn that won't require me to "check on" the stove every few hours (my shop where the stove is located is several hundred yards from my house). If you are a Baby owner that has the magic touch with your stove, I would love to talk with you and pick your brain. Right now, I feel like I am throwing $$$ out the door just to keep my shop at 35 degrees inside. Comment here or message me a phone number and I will call you.

As a footnote, my stove is one of the older models and I will be looking into the horseshoe cleanup method as well as the drilling the hole method for cleanup behind the ash pan (although I would like to get a little more precise instructions on the best way to do this).....

Any help would be appreciated !!! Thank You

I dont have a stove like yours but the discription you gave sounds like its getting to much air if the pellets burn as fast as they drop. Try closing your damper a little till the flame looks bright and busy not like a blow torch.

I dont have a stove like yours but the discription you gave sounds like its getting to much air if the pellets burn as fast as they drop. Try closing your damper a little till the flame looks bright and busy not like a blow torch.
I have toyed with the damper many times, but there seems to be no happy median. Either it burns too quickly thus very little heat or it builds up in the hopper until it overflows.

Hello
I have done many things to the baby
Check the board jumper to make sure it is set for wood pellets. Upgrade the exhaust blower from 85 to 105 CFM but first you must clean the top chamber!
Checkout this thread and see video I made using the new cleanout port. :)
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/important-magnum-baby-countryside-behind-the-firebox-cleanout.107437
There is a setting for wood pellets ?? Is it behind the controls and on the inside of the door ??
My stove does have the plug behind the ash pan (which I didn't know existed). Therefore, I am sure it has never been cleaned out including the previous owner. Once I pop out this plug, can I get this hidden area cleaned without performing the drilling method (if so, what is the best method) ?? Can you post a link where I can get the upgraded exhaust blower ?? Have you found a reliable wood pellet that you use ?? Can you take a picture of your burn pot ? The bottom of my burn pot has probably 20 holes lining the entire bottom. The back and front of my burn pot has one row of approx 5 holes about 2 inches up. Do I have the correct burn pot or are there many variations that can be used?

There is a setting for wood pellets ?? Is it behind the controls and on the inside of the door ??
My stove does have the plug behind the ash pan (which I didn't know existed). Therefore, I am sure it has never been cleaned out including the previous owner. Once I pop out this plug, can I get this hidden area cleaned without performing the drilling method (if so, what is the best method) ?? Can you post a link where I can get the upgraded exhaust blower ?? Have you found a reliable wood pellet that you use ?? Can you take a picture of your burn pot ? The bottom of my burn pot has probably 20 holes lining the entire bottom. The back and front of my burn pot has one row of approx 5 holes about 2 inches up. Do I have the correct burn pot or are there many variations that can be used?
Did you ever get any answer to this I'm having some issues with mine and these are all questions I have aswell

I owned one of these stoves for almost 10 years. I gave it to my son who used it for 2 years and then sold it to his next door neighbor. It is still working as it should but it requires a lot of maintenance. I was never able to go more than two days before having to empty the burn pot. Drilling a hole to blow out the top of the "horseshoe" is absolutely required. The hole behind the ash pan goes to the fresh air intake. As in all pellet stoves, air flow is what makes them work. The poor design of this stove allows ash to build up on top of the horseshoe, cutting down the air flow. If you do a search on this site you should find a lot of info. I used to have the plans on where to drill the hole but I cannot find them. I couldn't find them here on the site either. Hopefully someone will chime in with the plans.
Check out Don222's posts. He is very knowledgable on this stove. I bought the High Altitude blower from him and it made a big difference.