bad board in a 2001 25pdv?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
looks like the board is dead in my old shop stove. when i plug the room blower into the auger ports it works.is this fixable or is the board fried? it was running fine for a while than just died. thanks

I'm not sure about the older stoves, but my newer (2008 or 9) PDV did the same thing, blower motor wouldn't run, but would if I plugged it in to another port (I think I may have used the auger as well). Turns out I had a bad opto. Replaced it and all is well again. But, as I said, I haven't looked at a board from an older stove, so I don't know if they're the same. That said, the part was $4, and I soldered a Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) socket to the board should I need to replace it again. Best bet would probably be to call Englander or hope that Mike from Englander might see your post.

Eric

Agree, it's probably a bad triac or optoisolator. Cheap parts, but you have to be able to solder/desolder on the circuit board. Even if you have to pay someone a few dollars to do it for you, it'll be cheaper than a new board.

Eric, your avatar looks a lot like a Cub. I have two and love 'em!

looks like the board is dead in my old shop stove. when i plug the room blower into the auger ports it works.is this fixable or is the board fried? it was running fine for a while than just died. thanks

Was it on a Surge Protector? ? ?

I'm not sure about the older stoves, but my newer (2008 or 9) PDV did the same thing, blower motor wouldn't run, but would if I plugged it in to another port (I think I may have used the auger as well). Turns out I had a bad opto. Replaced it and all is well again. But, as I said, I haven't looked at a board from an older stove, so I don't know if they're the same. That said, the part was $4, and I soldered a Zero Insertion Force (ZIF) socket to the board should I need to replace it again. Best bet would probably be to call Englander or hope that Mike from Englander might see your post.

Eric

Hi Eric

Where do you get the optoisolator or triacs from?

Hi Eric

Where do you get the optoisolator or triacs from?

I think I got them from a place here in Portland called HR Distributors. But, as was posted above, any electronics retailer or Mouser or Digikey should have them.

Eric

i have no problem soldering so i will give it a shot. yes it was on a surge protector.i bought the stove used and just cleaned it and re sealed it and its been humming along ever since. i was shocked to see it not running. thanks

i have no problem soldering so i will give it a shot. yes it was on a surge protector.i bought the stove used and just cleaned it and re sealed it and its been humming along ever since. i was shocked to see it not running. thanks

I'll caution you to be very careful. These are surface mounted (not through the circuit board) and the soldering pads and traces could come up very easily.

Eric

Eric, your avatar looks a lot like a Cub. I have two and love 'em!

It is, a 1948 I got from my grandfather (was his father's before that). Needs some work, but it runs like a top!

Eric

went to the shack today and all they had were the triacs. they had a few differnt types. i couldnt read the writing on the old board which one should i be looking for? phil

went to the shack today and all they had were the triacs. they had a few differnt types. i couldnt read the writing on the old board which one should i be looking for? phil
I'm not sure if they're the same or not based on the vintage of your stove, but mine used an NTE3048 Optoisolator with Triac output.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.