Bad Burn!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainer2013

Oct 9, 2013
I have a enviro empress pellet insert. I have had it sine june and still feel that I have not figured it out. After 2 bags of pellets the ash pan is completely full. Keep in mind it is an insert and my ash pan is only about an inch tall. And after 8 hours of burning the glass is is so dirty that I cannot hardly see the flame. But what alarms me the most is the residue on the glass is brown and all the ash in the pan is brown. I think I am not getting a complete burn of the pellet. I have tried various brands of pellets with no change. I have also tried all the damper setting and combustion settings with no luck. Here is a few pics of what I am talking about. Anybody got any ideas?

Attachments

• 100_5175.JPG
    100_5175.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_5177.JPG
    100_5177.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_5178.JPG
    100_5178.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_5179.JPG
    100_5179.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 132
  • 100_5180.JPG
    100_5180.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 100_5181.JPG
    100_5181.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_5182.JPG
    100_5182.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 117
I have a enviro empress pellet insert. I have had it sine june and still feel that I have not figured it out. After 2 bags of pellets the ash pan is completely full. Keep in mind it is an insert and my ash pan is only about an inch tall. And after 8 hours of burning the glass is is so dirty that I cannot hardly see the flame. But what alarms me the most is the residue on the glass is brown and all the ash in the pan is brown. I think I am not getting a complete burn of the pellet. I have tried various brands of pellets with no change. I have also tried all the damper setting and combustion settings with no luck. Here is a few pics of what I am talking about. Anybody got any ideas?

what kind and brand of pellets are you burning? open the damper all the way up, put combustion on 3 or 4, and feed rate down a tick maybe?

The dirty glass is a problem if you burn on low… these stove like to run on med/high. Dealers will never tell you that a dirty glass will happen even with a higher burn… I clean mine every day or two.

A sticky brown deposit usually means you need a little more air. When you make adjustments wait 15-20 minutes to see how the stove reacts to the change in settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.