bad pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dstang17

Nov 21, 2008
long island
hey guys i purchased 3 tons of pellets that just wont burn correctly.they start off fine but after 2 hours or so the burn pot starts filling up with pellets and ash.any ideas I tried a bag of white lightning and they burn perfect.Im only burning them on setting 2 or 3 so I dont know why they would be doing this.and not after 2 hours?the bags do not have a name on them. any ideas?????I cant adjust air flow it is all manually controlled. thanks

The bags don't have a name on them? Are they seconds or homebrews?

I have been having a similar issue with some Blazers I recently bought. They look different than the last batch, and have a different texture. I'm getting hard carbon buildup in the burn pot.

wilbilt said:

I have been having a similar issue with some Blazers I recently bought. They look different than the last batch, and have a different texture. I'm getting hard carbon buildup in the burn pot.
Picked up a few bags of Blazers from HD. Used two so far seem to burn fine. Have an older (97) stove so clean burn pot every day as I don't burn 24/7. Doesn't seem any dirtier. I hope the next batch they get at HD is same.

kbd627 said:
wilbilt said:

Picked up a few bags of Blazers from HD. Used two so far seem to burn fine. Have an older (97) stove so clean burn pot every day as I don't burn 24/7. Doesn't seem any dirtier. I hope the next batch they get at HD is same.

The ones I bought last month at HD - about 12 bags or so - burned fine, but did produce more ash than the ones from last year.

I bought some more last week and they have a rough and crumbly texture with lots of fines. I had to literally chisel the carbon off the walls of the burn pot yesterday.

there not home. where I bought em it says they are premium pellets?even if they are not would the burn pot fill up so fast. within 2 or 3 hours they start pilling up.do you think I can mix em??

If other brands are burning fine and the stove is clean, etc...you may just have run across an inferior batch of pellets.

You can mix them to minimize the effects.

I agree with Wilbilt, mix em with good pellets and they will probably burn for you. You might even possibly try some of the cornburners tricks for using crappy corn. Try mixing a cup of cheap vegetable oil in with a hopper full and stir with your hands. Don't laugh it works well with corn. Also try opening up the air setting and making them burn hotter. Possibly a combination of all three, just don't throw them out unless they are a total waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.