Baldwin BT839-10 Hydraulic Filter - Dissected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ColdNorCal

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2018
Newcastle, Ca.
Ordered a hydraulic filter for the DHT splitter and it arrived dented. Considered installing it but Baldwin highly recommended not to as the change in temps with expansion and contraction could rupture the filter can.

Is that a replacement filter for the OEM DHT hydraulic filter ?

Is that a replacement filter for the OEM DHT hydraulic filter ?

Yes. Others are Wix 51551, Napa 1551, Fram P1653A, Donaldson P55155, Baldwin BT8428-MPG Synthetic/Glass

I have never seen a filter can rupture in normal use.The filter on a splitter is on the return line,very little pressure.
Had a rebuilt engine i installed in my Toyota,the wrong timing cover was used,blocked of the pressure relief and it blew the filter can right off the base .

Reactions: TreePointer
The expansion and contraction could be enough to cause a fracture and even without pressure the can could leak. Although the upper part of the dent can be seen in the video, the lower part can not. In the lower part of the dent its as if a sharp object, think hole punch or the corner edge of a piece of flat iron, hit the can. I have never seen a filter leak either nor have I seen a dent like this one on a filter.

Baldwin are good quality, as are the napa/wix. I have master installer status at napa, so I get those wix filters for about 4 bucks these days, they work well.