Basement stoves.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fish On

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2009
The other Cape..
I have a chance to install a stove in my basement. It's not insulated and was wondering how people like stoves down there. Do a lot in my wood shop and thought it might heat house a little more.

I was thinking a castle serenity it's well priced and more then I would need. I like the stove and seems to get good reviews.

I have a chance to install a stove in my basement. It's not insulated and was wondering how people like stoves down there. Do a lot in my wood shop and thought it might heat house a little more.

Not the best idea , since the exposed concrete itself absorbs so much of the heat.
Mine is in the basement but the walls are insulated and finished and the floor is carpeted. I send most of the heat up thru the floor via a round metal duct.

It will heat your basement ok while you work down there, but as mentioned
above, it is not a good setup if you think it will help heat your upstairs.
It will... but you will be using some serious pellets...

Mine is in the basement... walls are insulated box joists are insulated
and it is how I heat my upstairs... but mine also is ducted to the upstairs..

Dan

If, as Lake Girl suggests, this would be a second stove (or at least you weren't hoping to totally heat the above floors), it should do okay. My basement stove heats the downstairs just fine - even before I installed rigid foam insulation on the cinderblock foundation. It will go thru some pellets heating up the foundation if you are trying to keep it warm 24/7 down there.

Some warmth should make it upstairs - but don't count on using it alone to heat up there. If the winds are fairly calm, and it isn't really cold out, my main floor stove doesn't fire very often since I am getting heat from the big stove downstairs.

I have my Harman P43 in my basement of our ranch style house. Just concrete block walls. I have been using it this way to heat my entire house upstairs and basement for almost 7 yrs now. No issues and my upstairs stays at 72* I use 4 ton per year.

Reactions: articcatbill
We did a basement install to replace our wood stove, have only had it one year but we have been happy with it. It is in the unfinished part of our basement. Our house is a split level, so we have 4 levels, from the garage you go into the family room, above that are bedrooms. Down a 1/2 flight of steps to the lowest level (unfinished), above it are the kitchen, living room, dining room. We installed our pellet stove (Harman P68) in the lowest level to replace a wood stove that was already there. The unfinished basement is about 600 square feet, since it is a split level each of the 4 levels are about 600 square feet, totaling about 2400 square feet, we are heating it with the P68. So it is a smaller unfinished space than say if you had a ranch style home, that helps.

When I first started using it this winter I was a bit disappointed in the heat circulation. The family room was great, but the kitchen, living room and dining room areas were cool. There were 2 4x12 vents in the floor in the dining room, with the wood stove under there the heat was so intense it drove the heat up those vents on it's own, not so with the pellet stove.

I bought 2 of these Tjerland RB12 fans(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FNL0SS/?tag=hearthamazon-20) register booster fans for the 4x12 registers. Wow what a difference, it certainly balanced everything out and now I am very happy with the set-up. The upstairs and family room are now consistent. The bedroom area is cool, but I like it that way.

I do realize I am burning pellets to heat an unfinished area (600 sq ft), we have the washer dryer down there, but there are some nice advantages of having it down there:
  • Our floors upstairs are nice and warm, with much of the heat rising from the floors the rooms feel very cozy.
  • I can store 4 tons of pellets down there. It takes my wife and I around 1/2 hour to carry a ton down there, then we are done with them other than dumping them in the stove. I have been starting to stock pile for next year at the cheaper prices. Just put 2 ton of Hamer's down there at 192/ton. They are out of the way, the basement stays nice and dry.
  • I don't have to fret about cleaning the stove and the dust. While I am getting better at not spreading dust, since it is an unfinished space, not really that big an issue.
  • I makes a nice warm space to go read if you want to shake off the winter chill.
So as some people mentioned there are basement installs that work. I think for us the split level helps, the booster fans made a huge difference, and well the P68 can really crank out the heat when I need to warm-up the house. Our basement while unfinished and uninsulated, isn't that bad, it is a well sealed, not drafty, block wall basement. Decisions like this depend on the set-up and what you want out of the stove. We wanted nice warm floors, and to heat the entire house. So far I am now very happy with our set-up.

Reactions: MtDew
I currently use a wood stove in my unfinished basement and when running it will heat the whole house. I plan to move my current pellet stove down there as it is too big for up on the main floor where I currently have it. It will quickly roast us out in mild weather and when the wood stove is lit I turn it off. I will keep the woodstove as a backup but heat with pellets normally.