Basement Venting Question/Suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rover

Oct 27, 2008
Ohio
I recently bought an American Harvest 6039 Pellet Stove to put in my basement. I would like to vent it out my poured wall and not through my subfloor. Any suggestions how? I attached a diagram of what I'm dealing with. Thanks.

Attachments

• STOVE.BMP
    32.6 KB · Views: 524
Depending how you plan to run the vent pipe, the first thing would be to see is
how much room you have above grade for your vent to come out.
The owners manual should tell you what the minimum is for your stove.
The vent termination minimum on my stove is 18"

My stove is in my basement and the pipe goes up 5 feet and 3 feet out.
We ended up putting the stove in a different place than originally planned
becuz the grade was too high to meet the requirement.

mine in basement as well similar to tinkabranc . check to see how far above grade pipe is suppose to be.watch for any fall leaves around it if using in fall. good thing about it easy to clean exhaust pipe as i can hear pellet pipe brush bottom out in pipe near stove and vaccum hose reaches bottom as well can do it from outside so no mess inside. .

Thanks for the comments. The manual says "minimum 2 foot clearance above any grass/plants/combustible materials." I have 1 foot of basement wall uncovered and 1 foot of subfloor on top of that.

Rover said:
Thanks for the comments. The manual says "minimum 2 foot clearance above any grass/plants/combustible materials." I have 1 foot of basement wall uncovered and 1 foot of subfloor on top of that.

Doesn't sound like you can do the install in that location.

Are you putting the stove in the basement because that's where you plan on spending most of your time, or just need to heat that area? If not, you might consider relocating the stove.

To heat that area, plus the staircase to the first floor is open, so I had hoped it would help with the whole house. I had thought about digging out a small area around where the pipe would come out the wall and put some gravel and a small retaining wall.

don't know if this is allowable or not, but why not go up, out, then put a 90 degree elbow (or tee) on the pipe, and go up some more.

how's that any different than a typical pot-belly stove that goes up behind the stove, then horizontally into a masonry chimney, which then goes "up" through the roof?

That's what I originaly thought about doing, but the manaual also said not to "use no more that 180 degrees of elbows to maintain adequate draft."

Rover said:
That's what I originaly thought about doing, but the manaual also said not to "use no more that 180 degrees of elbows to maintain adequate draft."

Well, you would only have 180 degrees with (2) 90's, but your problem is still the "minimum 2' clearance" under the pipe outside.

Oh, and BTW, even if you figure out a way to put the stove in the basement, don't plan on a lot of heat going up the stairs...it just doesn't work very well.

Thanks everyone for the input. Would I definitely need to have the stove air combustion line go outside?

I put mine in like cac4 suggested and works great. basement is now very livable space and toasty. upstairs is warm, 70+ degrees but it is only 900 sq ft do I can't brag too much.
I rented the hammer drill and bit from HD and made two nice holes. there is talk about equations and all for venting but mine totalled 25 or so but works great. I did increase the 2" air intake to a 3" hose and then a 4" dryer vent so I don't know if that helped. only thing I might have done differently is increase vent to the 4" stuff so I could go up ten more feet if I decided to later, but mine works great the way it is.

donkarlos said:
I put mine in like cac4 suggested and works great. basement is now very livable space and toasty. upstairs is warm, 70+ degrees but it is only 900 sq ft do I can't brag too much.
I rented the hammer drill and bit from HD and made two nice holes. there is talk about equations and all for venting but mine totalled 25 or so but works great. I did increase the 2" air intake to a 3" hose and then a 4" dryer vent so I don't know if that helped. only thing I might have done differently is increase vent to the 4" stuff so I could go up ten more feet if I decided to later, but mine works great the way it is.

I second this post. My p68 is in my basement(which i'm currently finishing into a recording/band area and a theater area, ie. family room.) but i have my pipe running up then out and then up a bit more and my stove runs absolutely fine. had it put in professionally so all the codes and 'rules' were followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.