Basement Wood Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my opinion about storing "wood in the basement/house" for Winter use: Don't do it! Here is why:

Depending on how it was dried in the past, there may be "mold" and "fungus" on the wood. When you bring this into your home, the air quality of your home is compromised. And, one can suffer the effects of these things in your lungs and breathing, and allergy issues. I use to do this, until after about 3 days...the oak beatles woke up, and started chewing again in the split white oak in my basement. The little devils could be heard at night...just chewing away. Within 2 days, I tossed all this wood outside via the basement windows.

Later, I learned from a wood burning professional in Canada (via U-tube), one's home air quality is compromised, and the best place to store wood is under a protected roof (overhang) just outside. It dries nicely, and it is relatively handy to grab some and bring it in for firing. I have noticed it is best to bring some in the day before...and warm it up. But not much more than a day, since the bugs, spiders, ants, start to wake up and are ready to create havoc for you!

Reactions: Frozen Canuck
I seen one real nice wood rack. Hoop like, it was a 4-5' circle of 1" soft copper left over from a water main. So there was one pipe on top and two on the bottom. A little more than 1.5 circles, with the over lapping area pulled apart, if you can picture that. He says it dries the wood fast. But I would think any wood you have stored inside is a good idea for even just those times you don't wanna put your shoes or boots on.

I use pallets with sides. I have an overhead door in the end of my basement, it all comes in that way. Right now I store 2/3s of what I use in the basement, if I could get it all in I would.

I've never hard an issue with bugs. My house has been here for 200+ years and has always had wood wood stored inside. The majority of it in the "wood shed" (what used to be the carriage shed) and now in the basement.

I do have a dry basement, well as dry as a basement can be. I don't store wood inside in the summer, it comes in late in the fall and I use everything up I have stored in the basement by spring.

K

I keep a weeks worth of wood in the basement, it's a stack maybe 4' wide by 5' tall. It's easy access since my garage and basement are on the same level, which probably keeps my moisture level lower too. The only issue I've got is I HATE HATE HATE spiders, and occasionally I'll have one thaw out and surprise me as I'm putting wood in the fire.

It gives me some satisfaction to watch him burn alive though as the goosebumps tinkle down my back.

I'm not that creeped out by spiders, but then again, I've never been bit by one.

As a kid we would split wood all summer and fill the basement. 5+ cord with no issues.
The last 20 years there has always been 1.5 cords in my furnace room. No issues.

Reactions: velvetfoot
Make sure your basement is well ventilated. Number one, ........if you bring wood down there that still has a ways to go before "seasoned", it won't make it.
Number two.......even semi wet wood can turn a poorly ventilated basement into mold heaven in very short order. Been there, seen that. It ain't pretty.

Make sure your basement is well ventilated. Number one, ........if you bring wood down there that still has a ways to go before "seasoned", it won't make it.
Number two.......even semi wet wood can turn a poorly ventilated basement into mold heaven in very short order. Been there, seen that. It ain't pretty.

Yes +1. I just could never understand the logic of letting some wood $50 - $2000 worth at best, putting a $400K structure at risk. Once mould/insects get the upper hand you are going to spend a lot of $$ just to get back to even. One would literally need to live in a "drafty old barn" for this to make any sense what so ever.

I don't understand this wood phobia. I've been putting my winters wood in my basement every fall for almost 20 years now - and everyone else I know that burns wood around here (which would be almost everyone) does the same thing. It has been going on for decades. Fifty years at my parents place. No mold, no bug infestations - I have never heard of anyone having these problems here. We don't live in a superinsulated place, but it's built fairly solid & tight - we have a HRV and it gets used.

Season it, put it in dry.

I don't understand this wood phobia. I've been putting my winters wood in my basement every fall for almost 20 years now - and everyone else I know that burns wood around here (which would be almost everyone) does the same thing. It has been going on for decades. Fifty years at my parents place. No mold, no bug infestations - I have never heard of anyone having these problems here. We don't live in a superinsulated place, but it's built fairly solid & tight - we have a HRV and it gets used.

Season it, put it in dry.

Yup.

I guess if you put it in green that would be one thing, but dry wood should be just fine.

K

Besides bugs, mess and moisture. Doesn't fit the décor and no space with boiler, tank, washer, dryer, workbench, treadmill, wife's craft table, potting bench, clothes rack, gun safe, trash cans, garden tool rack, oil boiler and tank plus several other necessities.

I can see space being a possible issue for some - just can't fathom the self-destruction aspect. Everybody here does it, and I have not heard one peep from anyone here about issues from it, after decades of doing it.

As far as decor - you should see the rest of our basement. The stacks are quite decorative in comparison to the other end. I really need a garage...

Status
Not open for further replies.