Basement Wood Stove - Unfinished Ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jconsumer

Oct 8, 2022
Michigan
I have a JOTUL F 400 that will be going into the corner once the noncombustible walls are put together. We will be running through a wall and through the first floor to attach to a pre existing chimney, with appropriate clearances and shielding.

We opted to build a lower ceiling above the stove to divert the heat from the ventilation pvc piping for the central air and the sewage line from a bathroom.

Will the heat generated from the stove still be too high for the pvc pips and electric wires running along the joists? Should we look into pipe insulation and or additional heat shielding for these locations? I attached some photos of the pipes and wires in question.

Thank you for the help,

PXL_20221007_220144770~2.jpgPXL_20221007_220136231~2.jpg

I have a JOTUL F 400 that will be going into the corner once the noncombustible walls are put together. We will be running through a wall and through the first floor to attach to a pre existing chimney, with appropriate clearances and shielding.

We opted to build a lower ceiling above the stove to divert the heat from the ventilation pvc piping for the central air and the sewage line from a bathroom.

Will the heat generated from the stove still be too high for the pvc pips and electric wires running along the joists? Should we look into pipe insulation and or additional heat shielding for these locations? I attached some photos of the pipes and wires in question.

Thank you for the help,

View attachment 300145View attachment 300144
What do you mean by go through a wall and the first floor? How do you plan on doing that?

Yes, before proceeding, we need more details on how this will be done. In addition to the flue system info, what is the plan and need for the "non-combustible" wall? I ask because I see wood furring strips. If the wall is just decorative and not for clearance reduction then no problem. If it is for a clearance reduction, then it must follow NFPA 211.

If the requirements of the manual are followed then the pvc pipes and wires should be ok. But again, we need more details.

Yes, before proceeding, we need more details on how this will be done. In addition to the flue system info, what is the plan and need for the "non-combustible" wall? I ask because I see wood furring strips. If the wall is just decorative and not for clearance reduction then no problem. If it is for a clearance reduction, then it must follow NFPA 211.

If the requirements of the manual are followed then the pvc pipes and wires should be ok. But again, we need more details.
What do you mean by go through a wall and the first floor? How do you plan on doing that?

Using class A chimney pipe, through the wall with a wall thimble to a insulated T and wall support, moving upwards to the first floor, cutting a hole through the existing floor to give an adequate clearance for the pipe and surrounding the pipe with a firestop joist shield. At this point it will be connected to an existing chimney that will be encased next year.

How would the class A connect to the existing chimney? Can you post a picture of that location?

Using class A chimney pipe, through the wall with a wall thimble to a insulated T and wall support, moving upwards to the first floor, cutting a hole through the existing floor to give an adequate clearance for the pipe and surrounding the pipe with a firestop joist shield. At this point it will be connected to an existing chimney that will be encased next year.
How are you planning to connect to the chimney with class a?

If the requirements of the manual are followed then the pvc pipes and wires should be ok. But again, we need more d

How are you planning to connect to the chimney with class a?
The idea was to see if there is an adapter to connect the Class A to the Chimney stove pipe for this winter, then swap out the rest to class A next year. If no such adapter exists, then we would replace all pipe with new class A into a pre existing cathedral ceiling support box.

The idea was to see if there is an adapter to connect the Class A to the Chimney stove pipe for this winter, then swap out the rest to class A next year. If no such adapter exists, then we would replace all pipe with new class A into a pre existing cathedral ceiling support box.
Oh your existing chimney is class a. In that case pull the chimney and support box and just run straight from the tee up with no transitions. As long as you know what brand chimney you have and can get more you should be able to reuse what you have

What's the height from the top of the stove when installed to the new ceiling height. The manual will illustrate the amount of clearance required. Cant wait to see the final install photos.