Battery Back Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

valentine92

Mar 31, 2008
Lehigh Valley, PA
Im soo confused with this and was hoping that someone can lead me in the right direction. I dont want to get a generator. I am interested in a battery back up for my pellet stove. I've heard some people mention a marine battery for this purpose.

Can someone explain to me what type I should look at online?
How long will the pellet stove be able to run on the battery?
Does the battery stay hooked up all the time to the stove?
I am getting a Harman Accentra Freestanding stove if that helps at all.

I am really confused and could use all the help I could get.

My question to you is, what do you expect it to do and why? Compared to your boiler or furnace that does not have one.

I am hoping for the power to continue with my pellet stove if there is a brief outage or an outage lasting maybe 6 hours. For example last week we lost power for 1/2 hour in the middle of the night, I would want the pellet stove to continue to heat the house, also want to prevent smoke in my home during an outage if at all possible since my son is an asthmatic. We have a regular fireplace that we can always use for heat if it was out for a long duration.

check out NORTHERNTOOL.COM.they have a Duracell Powersource 1800(1800 watt).It should run your stove for up to 8 hours.
It plugs into wall outlet,and you plug your stove into the unit.

THe website for the Duracell 1800 states "AC output waveform Modified sine wave". I was under the impression that Pellet stoves circuit boards can have problems with an inverter which does not produce PURE SINE WAVE (same as household). I don't know this for a fact, but my pellet stove manual, states specifically not to use any inverter unless it's Pure Sine Wave. Just my 2cents.

http://www.secamerica.com/ss_sentry.html

Also, a good sized UPS (for computers) will run a pellet stove for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour or more.

You can also roll your own, although automatic switchover is more difficult. There are inverters which can hook to marine batteries for as little as 50 bucks. In this case, you would have to manually hook the pellet stove to the inverter after the power fails....

Two ways
One ... get a big ass UPS from a computer store ($200 - 400). Depending on how long you will be out of power.
Two, get a USP that need batteries (800 VA or so from E-bay) and then replace those tiny batteries with car batteries.
Since 1998 I've done that.. new batteries every 3 years or so.
It has run a 32" TV for 3 hours (then we when to bed) Ran out 48" projection TV for an hour and a half.
The UPS has powered the pellet stove overnight (4 or 5 hours) until the power was restored.
It's the batteries.

http://www.butkus.org/ups/ups.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.