Battery weed whacker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Does anyone have one or know of someone who does?

I'm just getting tired of all the pulling of the cord and no starts on ours. If a battery operated one will fit the bill I'm very tempted to get one. At present I have a Stihl and it is not that old. Started having problems last year and thought we had it fixed. Not so because I got it out today and it just won't start. Getting tired of tearing the thing apart every time I need to use it.

Yes, I realize it would not be as strong as a gas operated one but at least it might run when it is needed.

Haven't tried a cordless. I got tired of having so many things with spark plugs so I just toss the little Harbor Freight 900 watt genny in the trailer behind the garden tractor. With a fifty foot cord the electric whacker, electric leaf blower and electric pole saw are off to the races. Within a hundred feet of the manse I just use an extension cord. No more of those stupid little fuel lines to rot out either.

Reactions: flyingcow
I can just picture it BB. We do have an electric that someone gave to us. I had forgotten it but got it out and plugged it in. Works great. Will have to get some line for it though as it uses a different size. I have lots of extension cords but not sure how long we could use without losing too much power to run the beast.

I suspect your woes might be coming from the oil/gas mixture you're using.

I have a couple of Stihl units, a trimmer and a chainsaw. I use only Stihl oil in them, and have had zero problems for over six years now. I attribute that to the oil. It's insanely expensive, but for the couple of gallons of gas I burn a year, it's well worth the cost. Both machines sit all winter with gas in them, and start right up every spring, and all season. I make sure to use 89 octane, as called for in the manual, Shell brand.

The trimmer is a 4-mix, and the chain saw is a standard 2 stroke, neither unit is their top-of-the-line, either.

Just some food for thought.

No problem with the fuel. Last year the Stihl guys gave me what they thought was the fix and it worked.....last year. What we do is when finished with the job, we empty the gas and then put in the premix stuff (very expensive) from Stihl. We'd just put in a little bit, start the engine and run it out of gas. Supposedly this would clear the carb jets. As stated, once we started doing that we had no problem. But today I just could not get it running. I had it for maybe 5 seconds then nothing.

As for the saw gas, we do burn premium gas and use the Stihl oil. No problem with that. The Stihl guys blame it all on the ethanol in the gas and that is the reason they suggested the premix. I'd hate to run that premix totally because of the cost.

I have a RedMax and it works like a charm. Less vibration than the Stihl it replaced (FS85) and it starts on the first or second pull, every time. Easy start handle, easy on the arm. The FS85 was fussy all the time and the muffler screen tended to clog up a lot. I had to tear it down a lot as well. I use premium no-ethanol gas and 100% synthetic Elf JASO FD rated oil.

I had a bettery trimmer once when I lived in the burbs in California, but it was weak and lasted only an hour before needing a recharge. Also as they de-charge they get weaker. You would be better off with a corded electric model, but... the damn cord. Voltage drop may be an issue starting at about 100 feet unless you use heavy gauge cords. I have melted a few of them (the power heads get hot and melt the plastic).

For sure one would not want the ni-cad battery as they do what you describe. The new batteries are so much better and that is one of the things that has me considering one.

100' would definitely not get the job done. Especially when I go maybe 1/4 mile from the house.

The only weedeater that will stand up to our yard is a heavy duty Stihl with a stout line. To do the whole property is a 2 day job.;hm And that only looks good for a couple weeks. :mad:

I have a (pretty sure it's 18v nicad, it's pouring I'm not trudging to the shed to check) battery Black and Decker. It's a real lightweight. Just tongue lashes the tough weeds and gets about 20 minutes to a battery.
I also have an electric and I'll drag the cord out for that sometimes.

I prefer not to use either.

I 'd suggest a good sharp scythe.

I've got one (cheap Chinese type). Works fine for my application (small amounts of grass in out of the way places a long way from a power socket), but it really can't cope with anything heavier than a bit of grass.

A quick glance at amazon.com belies a somewhat robust market says I.

I have the 18 volt Lithium Ryobi One+ and I love it. Starts when I pull the trigger & no cord ;)
I already had some One+ tools & the trimmer plus a large battery & charger was about the same $ as just a battery. Two of the high capacity Li-ion batteries will always finish my yard, but it's only 1/3 acre and I'm not whacking thick, heavy weeds.
I'd say if you're maintaining more than a 1/2 acre or so you wouldn't be happy with a battery unit like mine, but they a perfect for a suburban lot.

Put a big deep cycle battery and inverter on the rack on that quad and use a corded whacker. Lot more whacking power. The $29.99 WalMart one I bought to test the lil genny concept whacks the crap out of stuff.

I found that all my gas powered equipment needs to have the stabilizer added just as soon as you bring it home. That ened the issues I was having because of the unleaded gas. I also have an electric trimmer, but I have too many mishaps cutting off the cord. I don't trim for long because the equipment is too heavy for me. I would use herbicide but I have pets and I don't think that poison is ever safe. I still have after effects from agent orange.

I know you mentioned battery operated weed beaters BS . . . but I just have to say . . . the four stroke weed beaters are a dream. Primed and choked and three pulls and the four stroke weed beater that I had put up last Fall fired right up and ran like a champ . . . plus it's pretty quiet. I don't think I could go back to a two stroker weed whacker.

Reactions: semipro
We won't even think about whacking weeds until they have dried in the sun and wind for two years. Three years for some varieties. But we have enough to whack weeds for the next five or six years.

Jake, I have 2 of them and they are both 2 cycle. One is a lot bigger but both are back killers. It would seem that a 4 stroke motor would be a lot heavier still.

As for what I've found on the Internet and what some are quoting here, I think most are reviewing the smaller 12-20 volt models. If I got one it would be the larger 30-40 volt for sure. Still undecided.

I have a Stihl 4-stroke straight shaft trimmer and it is not noticeably any heavier then a 2-stroke model. Even after sitting, with ethanol fuel (unstabilized), for 8 months it started within 4-5 pulls. The torque it provides is also a pleasant surprise. I would be curious to see the weight difference between a gas and battery trimmer because even lithium batteries weigh something.

My Saw dealer has some "Worx" tools. They all use the same interchangeable battery.

Although I have never used one? They have a large section dedicated just to them?

My Husq had a very easy pull start. You could pull in slow motion and start it. Probably very similar to the Stihl Easy start.

A good gas unit should start very quickly and with minimal effort. My Father has a new 4 stroke unit (Husq) and it starts very easy also (pricey)

Our Stihl has the full handlebars and back harness. That is the only way I can weed eat for more than an hour.

I have the worx unit.

works fine. battery lasts just about the time it takes to trim around my garden, my walk way, my mailbox, and my fence line on my small-ish .4 acre property.

The handle is my only gripe with it, it wish it hand a different hold angle. hurts my wrist after a while. it's akward,

Jake, I have 2 of them and they are both 2 cycle. One is a lot bigger but both are back killers. It would seem that a 4 stroke motor would be a lot heavier still.

As for what I've found on the Internet and what some are quoting here, I think most are reviewing the smaller 12-20 volt models. If I got one it would be the larger 30-40 volt for sure. Still undecided.

As Brian mentioned the weight difference between a two stroke and four stroke weed beater is practically non-existent . . . surprisingly enough . . . I don't notice any extra weight. That said . . . if a two stroke bothers your back then I would guess a four stroke would bother you in the same fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.