BC Storms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AlbergSteve

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2017
n
Sooo... now that the power is back on, anyone else get hammered in the PNW. I knew it was going to be a long day at work when the first float home went sailing by! @begreen, how did you folks make out?

P_20181220_113920.jpg
Easily over 60 knot winds, this home sailed by with four people and their pets on board. The vessel on the right, Atrevida, is an old ferry from the 1930s being used as a liveaboard, also known as the bakery boat. Both ended up on the beach on the north side of Maple Bay. The two floathomes were recovered the next day and towed back to the marina from whence they came, but the Atrevida could not be saved.
Atrivida3.jpg
P_20181220_125824.jpg
This is the second floathome adrift and being chased down and wrangled by the Coast Guard.

P_20181222_112723.jpg
There was 200' of dock in this picture four days ago...
Note the empty space to the left of the light blue floathome - two homes went adrift from that space.

P_20181220_162125.jpg P_20181221_082407.jpg

P_20181222_130945.jpg P_20181222_130748.jpg
This tree just missed my shop...left a small dent in the gutter.

Phew, that is too close for comfort. We dodged the bullet in the south sound but from Whidbey upward it got pretty bad. My friends up in the Skagit valley still don't have power. Maybe tomorrow they say. Pictures show entire rows of transmission poles down. They are having to rebuild infrastructure in segments up the valley toward Marblemount.

There are lots of stories on the news about the damage. This is one sad tale:
https://komonews.com/news/local/birch-bay-floods-during-wind-storm
There are lots of dramatic pictures too
https://komonews.com/news/local/gal...-the-dark-after-thursdays-powerful-wind-storm

Having your house float away makes for a unique situation.
I was expecting a long-term power outage, but mine was only out for 8 hours. People just down the road were without power until today. The property behind me and next to me each lost big trees but the only damage is one small section of fence. Somehow, only one of the big dead alders at the back of my woods broke off.
Really glad I had my huge maples cut down last winter!

Phew, that is too close for comfort. We dodged the bullet in the south sound but from Whidbey upward it got pretty bad. My friends up in the Skagit valley still don't have power. Maybe tomorrow they say. Pictures show entire rows of transmission poles down. They are having to rebuild infrastructure in segments up the valley toward Marblemount.

There are lots of stories on the news about the damage. This is one sad tale:
https://komonews.com/news/local/birch-bay-floods-during-wind-storm
There are lots of dramatic pictures too
https://komonews.com/news/local/gal...-the-dark-after-thursdays-powerful-wind-storm
Wow, that was pretty dramatic!

Couple of short clips from my day at work on Thursday.

Yep, brisk north wind today. Is that home adrift? Are you part of the rescue crew?

Yep, brisk north wind today. Is that home adrift? Are you part of the rescue crew?
Yep, making about 2 knots of speed across the bay. Four people and their pets on board were rescued by a small boat from the marina when they were half way across the bay. We didn't have a boat large enough at hand for a rescue. In the middle of the storm, Coast Guard had five vessels on scene. They chased down the second float home and managed to get it secured to a mooring in the north end of the bay as well as secure many other vessels that broke loose from the Maple Bay Marina. Kudos to those men and women in some pretty wild conditions.
bay.png
This was their general path across Maple bay.

Just a light breeze here in the cascade foothills near mt rainier. Couple power flickers. Can’t imagine owning a houseboat and not tying the thing up securely.

I might have to get a usfs permit soon. There has to be a lot of down trees.