Be Careful with Splitting Wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
I just read a news item about a guy in northern Maine who was splitting wood with a steel splitting wedge and a sledge hammer. Part of the wedge let go when he hit it with the sledge, sending it into his femoral artery and him to the morgue.

Hitting steel with steel is dangerous. I never use splitting wedges, but if you do, be sure to grind off all the mushroomed steel that forms over time around the head. And by all means, always wear safety glasses.

Talk about a freak accident. What a way to go.

Yeah, the safety glasses is a good idea. I wear mine for everything. I wear them and still get stuff in my eyes. Go figure.

Eric Johnson said:
I just read a news item about a guy in northern Maine who was splitting wood with a steel splitting wedge and a sledge hammer. Part of the wedge let go when he hit it with the sledge, sending it into his femoral artery and him to the morgue.

Hitting steel with steel is dangerous. I never use splitting wedges, but if you do, be sure to grind off all the mushroomed steel that forms over time around the head. And by all means, always wear safety glasses.

THAT is a bummer. Before I finished what you read I was thinking "that wedge was schroomed over i'll bet". Back in the day...as a yout...I split with a sledge and wedges. The wedges were mushroomed over so bad the wedge stopped when the mushroomed part got to the wood. I took schrapnel to the bare leg once before I got smart...or smarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.