Been away

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAKSY

Full Time RVer
Staff member
Dec 2, 2008
Wherever we're parked
Heaven't been able to get here for awhile, as I ended up in one of the local health care facilities with needles & tubes & stuff due to a severe bout of Diverticulitis. Never had it before - DEFINITELY do not want it again. Had no idea why my lower gut was in major pain mode & tried all the things one would try for gas, indigestion, etc. No luck, of course it wasn't til (trying not to be TOO graphic here) I looked in the urinal & saw that I had deposited what looked like Root Beer, that I decided to seek an educated opinion. A 4-day stay with what seemed like 40 gallons of antibiotics pumped thru me & I'm back on my feet. Transverse colon saved (YAY!). The CAT Scan showed microperforations & that the initial infection had spread to the small & intestine & bladder. I realize that I'm in for some serious dietary modifications, once I can eat what I'd consider a real diet. So far I've graduated from Jello to pudding, pasta & ice cream, but that's about all I can tolerate so far. Anyway, glad to be among the living on Hearth.com...

Welcome back Bob, good to hear that you are on the mend. Diverticulitis can be terrible. I'm glad you got it treated.

once I can eat what I'd consider a real diet. So far I've graduated from Jello to pudding, pasta & ice cream, but that's about all I can tolerate so far.

Pasta and ice cream? Sounds like a pretty good diet if you ask me.

I've heard that Diverticulitis could be from a lack of fiber in your diet. Any mention of this during your medical stay?

Reactions: ScotO
Daksy great to hear from ya again, glad you got yourself fixed up! There are a couple of people up at my work dealing with that very problem right now, and I understand it is MISERABLE. Keep us posted on your recovery, hope you continue to do well!

Bummer. Good that you got treated, bad a that was. Get better ma man.

Oh Daksy I am so sorry and glad you are ok.
I have diverticulosis as well. I have not had a flare up lately thank gawd. It can be a painful thing.
Happy Healing my friend...I was wondering where you have been!
I am glad you are back here with us. half smiley.jpg

Pasta and ice cream? Sounds like a pretty good diet if you ask me.

I've heard that Diverticulitis could be from a lack of fiber in your diet. Any mention of this during your medical stay?

My diet was good. Salads every day. Good roughage. Whole grain breads & granola & stuff. The problem was all the things I eat that contain seeds. Tomatoes, cukes, squash, (seeded) rye bread, multi-grain bagels. One of them tricky little bastidges got caught & irritated the Hell outta my Transverse Colon...I will admit that I ate pepperoni & Italian sausage & they've got seeds as well. Gotta start being MORE careful about what I put in my if I wanna make it thru my 6th decade, dammit...

Bob, glad you're back among us.

Weird how seeds can affect you, when they are the start of the next generation of food.

Take it slow, and avoid that stuff. I'm with ya on that one, too.

Glad you got it controlled Bob. Like Gamma, I too have it but nothing like yours, thank God. I also now have diverticulosis, whatever that is.The try to get me to quit the milk and ice cream and I have cut back but to give it up would be awful. It is difficult imagining a world without ice cream.

I almost never eat ice cream. Don't really miss it either, except when I'm traveling. It's impossible to not try a good gelato in Italy.

Well, there is good ice cream and marginal ice cream but rarely will you find bad ice cream. Never been to Italy... Known a few folks from there though and all have been good ones.

My diet was good. Salads every day. Good roughage. Whole grain breads & granola & stuff. The problem was all the things I eat that contain seeds. Tomatoes, cukes, squash, (seeded) rye bread, multi-grain bagels. One of them tricky little bastidges got caught & irritated the Hell outta my Transverse Colon...I will admit that I ate pepperoni & Italian sausage & they've got seeds as well. Gotta start being MORE careful about what I put in my if I wanna make it thru my 6th decade, dammit...

See! Pasta and ice cream have absolutely no seeds in them. You found your diet.

Reactions: DAKSY and ScotO
Get well soon . . . or more well at least.

Reactions: DAKSY
Glad that your feeling better Daksy, with the weather we had ice cream sounds good.

zap

Some times we need to take the body in for a tune up.
Glad all you needed was an oil change, bio fuel & fuel supplements.
Hope they get you felling close to normal soon. No more coal in your wood stove ;)
Time to eat just the good seasoned wood for a while.

Hoped to send you a smile, that's some of the best medicine :)

Get well buddy!

Had to google it. I don't like it. I would bet you didn't like it even more. Glad you are getting fixed up and listen to your doctor. A good one can make things better.

Had to google it. I don't like it. I would bet you didn't like it even more. Glad you are getting fixed up and listen to your doctor. A good one can make things better.

I did not like it at all. While I have never been stabbed with a broadsword, I imagine what I felt was quite similar to that. I read somewhere that 50% of all men over the age of 50 will end up with colonic diverticula. If we make to the age of 90, we'll ALL have them. Great. I guess the trick is not to eat anything that can get caught in them & that means dietary modification. Gonna try to eat some chicken tonite. Maybe some rice on the side...

Give up the"healthy" stuff and eat meat! Thats what I do ;-)

Why are we not surprised , Hogz ?????

;lol

Best advice I can give doesn't involve diet. Avoid stress. For the three persons I've known with this problem, stress was always the worst trigger.

Dang glad you made it through that mess and you are back! Hope you quickly get to feeling 100%!

Best advice I can give doesn't involve diet. Avoid stress. For the three persons I've known with this problem, stress was always the worst trigger.
Thanx, BG. I don't really live a stressful life, so I'm gonna do the diet thingie first. Susan & I live on a small lake & that just kinda sucks the stress right outta me. If that doesn't do it, there's motorcycle therapy & a LOT of good roads to "zone out" on...

Status
Not open for further replies.