Been learning a lot about stump grinders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
I recently ordered a hand swing stump grinder for both my lawn care business and my large yard with stumps to remove. The grinder I bought is a PowerKing and it’s compatible with Greenteeth carbide teeth and it comes with a bonus package of a tow bar, cover and a extra set of teeth. I compared different makers and costs and this was the best deal I could find and I don’t have to pay for the freight shipping on it since I got it from Home Depot. This is it-

4C63E3EC-65C8-4B44-8B1D-DBD3D6AFFF0F.png

if I can drum up enough jobs in the area to justify a bigger grinder I might look into something with track drive and easier to operate like this Bandit model.

3CC9FD7F-B218-4C72-8F39-D9A62EF97BBD.png

But in the rural area I’m in I don‘t know if I can do that Even though a local stump grinder had to quit his business due his health. Time will tell.

Tell use how well it works/not works ..

Reactions: duramaxman05
Tell use how well it works/not works ..
The grinder works good. I ground three stumps in my yard and it took less than ten minutes for each of them. The brand I bought has a drum brake on one wheel to help you swing it as apposed to other brands that just have a pin locked wheel like snowblowers use and it has a clutch, some in the same price range don’t.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
The grinder works good. I ground three stumps in my yard and it took less than ten minutes for each of them. The brand I bought has a drum brake on one wheel to help you swing it as apposed to other brands that just have a pin locked wheel like snowblowers use and it has a clutch, some in the same price range don’t.

I'm thinking about buying one of these to have around here as well. Keep us posted on your thoughts and results. thanks.

How are you liking your stump grinder after using it a while.? I purchased the same unit in August as well. In the first few months I have ground about 80 or 90 stumps in various sizes and different ages. Mine has served me well but like most tool of this type I must stay on top of maintenance . Torquing cutters ,air filter, brake adjustment, etc.
Seem like a good machine and a decent value for money. I have a few miles of woods road that I’m trying to tame so there are several hundred more stumps I will get to in the next year. I take it out for a few hours and do a section, it a good workout moving it around. I have already replaced 4 cutters due to very rocky ground on my property. Overall pleased with my purchase.

Last edited:
How are you liking your stump grinder after using it a while.? I purchased the same unit in August as well. In the first few months I have ground about 80 or 90 stumps in various sizes and different ages. Mine has served me well but like most tool of this type I must stay on top of maintenance . Torquing cutters ,air filter, brake adjustment, etc.
Seem like a good machine and a decent value for money. I have a few miles of woods road that I’m trying to tame so there are several hundred more stumps I will get to in the next year. I take it out for a few hours and do a section, it a good workout moving it around. I have already replaced 4 cutters due to very rocky ground on my property. Overall pleased with my purchase.

Wondering how many cutters are on it in total, and how much the cutters are to replace. We have a lot of rocks on our property as well. Thanks.

The machine has 9 cutters ,with 3 different offsets. When i bought mine it came with a extra set of cutters.
They hold up quite well , I would say the problem was probably me rushing to much. There about 17 dollars each through Home Depot.