Beer Keg's and Box Wine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eric Johnson said:
...Now I stick mostly to Yeungling (sp), which is a better Black & Tan, IMO, than the Saranac.

Can you guys in NE buy black & tan in one bottle? The only black & tan I've had in the south and west is 1/2 Harp's plus 1/2 Guiness. I was under the impression (perhaps in error) that this tapped combo was the only black & tan.

That's what the Harp/Guiness people would like you to believe.

Both Saranac and Yuengling offer their B&T in one bottle. It tastes like.....well......black and tan.

Ironically, some ice cream maker (it might have been Ben & Jerry's) recently got into trouble for naming one of their flavors "Black and Tan" which I gather has unpleasant historical/political connotations in the UK.

BTW Mo, Yuengling is the oldest brewery (still operating) in the United States. You can get a 12-pack of the B&T in bottles around here for about $9. It's half dark beer, half light beer and not half bad. I will be my honor to buy you and the Mrs. a round when you visit.

I couldn't pass up a post on beer and wine without, well... posting.

I've been a homebrewer for 10 years and am very happy with my little fleet of 5 gallon pepsi kegs (also called cornelius kegs).
No waste.. I just have to get my CO2 tank filled or exchanged once a year and occasionally replace the keg gaskets.

There are some great IPA's out there. Some of the good northeast ones are: Hop Devil, Shipyard, Long Trail, and Dogfish Head in MD makes a 60, 90, and 120 minute IPA. 60, 90 and 120 minutes refer to how often they add fresh hops to the brew kettle. The 120 minute is an 'extreme' beer and weighs in at about 20% abv. Not really what you would call a quaffable beer. I don't care for the 120 minute, but one of my brew buddies shelled out an unbelievable amount for a case of the stuff. He tries a bottle about once a year in the hopes it will age nicely.

He's still waiting...

Wine is quite easy to make and a great way to recycle all the empty wine bottles left over after that bus carrying the art history professors broke down in front of your house. Some wineries 'press' extra juice and sell it by the gallon to home winemakers. I just bring my 5 gallon carboy and fill it up. Just add yeast, take care of it throughout the year (transfer to a new container occasionally), and bottle.

Cheers,
Bernd

I have been a homebrewer for some time too. I have stoped untll i can get a keg system going. I refuse to deal with the mess of bottles any more. My personal tase of beers at the moment are IPA's. There is a local brewery making a brew called "Hoppy Boy" , thats my current favriot, "Hazed and Infused" is my close second at the moment. I chage styles quite a bit, i havent had a quality beer that i couldnt drink, well, maybe, double bock is kind of gross. I like to make meade. Good ole honey wine, i like to doulbe the honey content and let is sit for about 3 years, with the extra sugar and champange yeast it tuns almost brandy like. MMmmmm is it to early for a drink?

Homebrewz,

You forgot Smuttynose (Portsmouth, NH), Harpoon (Portland, ME) and Seadog (Bangor, ME). I don't know about the Seadog IPA in a bottle, but the stuff that comes out of the tap is top shelf IPA, IMO. Gritty McDuff out of Portland makes a killer bitter.

Eric Johnson said:
Homebrewz,

You forgot Smuttynose (Portsmouth, NH), Harpoon (Portland, ME) and Seadog (Bangor, ME). I don't know about the Seadog IPA in a bottle, but the stuff that comes out of the tap is top shelf IPA, IMO. Gritty McDuff out of Portland makes a killer bitter.

I can't name them all :) I know I forgot several. I think Harpoon also bought the old Catamount brewery in VT. I like almost everything they make...except they used to make a spiced holiday beer. It was basically a winter warmer style with what tasted like a ground up Christmas tree in every bottle. I could get through a half of one.

I've been to the pub at Gritty's... I agree.. the bitter is excellent.

I agree with you on the spicy brews. Not to my taste either. Try the Smuttynose IPA if you get the chance. It's a little extreme, but a treat under the right circumstances. And if you should happen upon one of Seadog's establishments--order the IPA. Nothing else in the place compares. And go someplace else for lunch or dinner--after you've had your beer.

I think you're right about the Catamount brewery. Burlington is now a big Harpoon town.

Eric Johnson said:
Ironically, some ice cream maker (it might have been Ben & Jerry's) recently got into trouble for naming one of their flavors "Black and Tan" which I gather has unpleasant historical/political connotations in the UK.

Yes, I think it's in the B & J business plan that nothing unpleasant will be tolerated. Well, except maybe heart disease...

BTW Mo, Yuengling is the oldest brewery (still operating) in the United States. You can get a 12-pack of the B&T in bottles around here for about $9. It's half dark beer, half light beer and not half bad. I will be my honor to buy you and the Mrs. a round when you visit.

I'm going to check my local liquor store (big beer selection) to see if they carry this stuff. I've been surprised by them carrying an German beer (Erdinger) and a Belgian beer (Chimay) that I was seeking on two different occasions. Might get lucky. And thanks for the invite. I'll definitely attempt to take you up on it if we get up there. Mrs. Mo Heat is making noise about Niagara Falls and I can see it's only about 4 hours from you.

I may just plan a Mo Heat All Hearthnet New England Tour, sponging food, booze, and lodging off all the amiable New England posters here.

Mo Heat said:
Eric Johnson said:

Yes, I think it's in the B & J business plan that nothing unpleasant will be tolerated. Well, except maybe heart disease...

I'm going to check my local liquor store (big beer selection) to see if they carry this stuff. I've been surprised by them carrying an German beer (Erdinger) and a Belgian beer (Chimay) that I was seeking on two different occasions. Might get lucky. And thanks for the invite. I'll definitely attempt to take you up on it if we get up there. Mrs. Mo Heat is making noise about Niagara Falls and I can see it's only about 4 hours from you.

I may just plan a Mo Heat All Hearthnet New England Tour, sponging food, booze, and lodging off all the amiable New England posters here.

Mo, if ya can't find the Yanglang (the way its pronounced around here), I would be happy to clandestinly ship you some.

And yes, it is the oldest brewery in the US.

bruce56bb said:
sandor,is this going to be a smokey and the bandit type run? if so.......i'm in!

No Smokey and the Bandit. Man, that was starting to sound like fun!

Just a big box, with bottles wrapped in lots of paper.

I tell ya Mo, Niagara Falls is something ya gotta do. Only two things have taken my breath away in my life. When I walked through a hedge and, bang, there was the Grand Canyon and when I walked up next to the falls.

I could have pulled up a chair and sat for at least a day mesmerised by that thing.

Mo Heat said:
seaken said:
...I like a lot of the micro brews but I, unlike Craig, have about two or three at a time and it gets a little expensive.

You being a hearth store owner/operator, I'd think the above statement would go without saying. ;)

...When funds are low I settle for Budweiser.

This kind of talk is best left unspoken here in Bud-burbia. ;)

... I got back into Pilsners when I was in Denmark.

Sean, do they do the crazy 'timing of the draught' in Denmark? I once ordered a Pilsner in Germany and everyone at my table was ready to order their second non-Pilsner by the time my first Pilsner had arrived. I was told that by law in Germany, you had to tap Pilsner for 'so many minutes', for some special beer reason or other. And of course, all beers in Germany must be served, by law, in their specified non-generic glasses. I suppose there might be some exceptions.

Oops. I'll keep the "settle for bud" crack under wraps for St. Louis bunch! :)
(Actually, if truth be known, Bud is the only american style lager I can drink. It is pretty good with a hamburger, on draft.)

Ya know, I don't think they take their beer as seriously in Denmark as they do in Germany. One of these days I'd like to make the Germany trip and experience the beer gardens, etc. But I've not seen what you described.

Sean

Eric Johnson said:
seaken,

I live in Utica, so of course I don't drink Saranac (anymore). Drank a lot of it when I lived up in the Adirondacks, however. Saranac Amber on tap is one beer you could sit around and drink all day. I never have, you understand, but I could.

Now I stick mostly to Yeungling (sp), which is a better Black & Tan, IMO, than the Saranac. I never did acquire a taste for the Saranac PA, but some of their special summer brews are pretty adequate.

Yeah, I guess it's too close to home, eh. I will admit that Saranac is not my favorite but it is pretty good stuff for the price. The IPA is my favorite Saranac but it is hard to get unless I get it in the Trail Mix six pack. Most of the time I get the Trail Mix but I also get a lot of the B & T, especially in winter.

And yes, I like Yuengling too. They have a great B & T. But I have to go to the beverage discount outlet to get it and it's a little drive for me. My local grocery carries the Saranac (also Dinkle Acker and occasionally Pilsner Urquel). I pay about $7 per six for the Saranac. The Yuengling is around $8. Your prices in Utica are much better. Damn Hudson Valley can be expensive. Oh well.

Sean

Eric Johnson said:
That's what the Harp/Guiness people would like you to believe.

Both Saranac and Yuengling offer their B&T in one bottle. It tastes like.....well......black and tan.

Wow, Eric, the same 12-pack around me is about $12. Guess I'm too far off the preferred delivery path (1/2 hour from the hudson river in the Catskills).

Sean

Amazing how more people “settle for bud” every day than the next ten top selling beers in the world combined.

Must be awful stuff that Budweiser.

Mo Heat said:

It's strange how different states have different ways of controlling the distribution of beer, wine and spirits. Back home, in Seattle, we bought beer and wine in the grocery store. Out here in New York we can't get wine in the grocery. Have to go to the liquor store for that. But can get beer at the grocery or a beverage outlet (beer, coolers, soda, etc. in box packages at (usually) discounted prices).

I'll never forget the first time I visited Pennsylvania and tried to buy beer. I couldn't find beer in the grocery store, and to top it off it was Sunday. No beer sales. I finally discovered that I had to go to a bar or a package store. So, Monday morning I found a package store and bought a case of Yuengling. Drank two bottles that night at hotel room (used the ice bucket for chilling) and took the rest of the case home in the trunk. I was miffed at first, but the Yuengling was pretty good and I calmed down eventually.

When we were in Virginia they sell spirits in the grocery, as well as beer and wine. That makes the most sense to me. But I suppose the boys who control such things here in New York won't be letting that happen any time soon. Oh well. Good thing my store is right next door to a good wine and spirits Liquor Store. But no beer in the liquor stores around here.

Niagra falls is six hours from me and very near one of my major distributors. Definitely worth the trip.

Sean

True story Not my town but I was asked to inspect the ventless heaters in the new Gilette stadium Just after the patriots they won the first Super bowl. The season opener is against the Steelers special thursday night opener. So I head to the elevator and just as the door is closing but who shows up is the Coors light twins. Little taller that I expected. Who cares they were wearing the shortest silver skirt. The elevator ride was way too short and I tried not to gaulk too much. They were there doing a promo. I can tell you they sure passed my inspection. Man as a gent I let them leave first,, only to see them manuver in those silver mini's. Silver bullits may not be the best beer but the memories!!!!!!! ST poly girl had nothing on the twins and Twinsssss

elkimmeg said:
True story Not my town but I was asked to inspect the ventless heaters in the new Gilette stadium Just after the patriots they won the first Super bowl. The season opener is against the Steelers special thursday night opener. So I head to the elevator and just as the door is closing but who shows up is the Coors light twins. Little taller that I expected. Who cares they were wearing the shortest silver skirt. The elevator ride was way too short and I tried not to gaulk too much. They were there doing a promo. I can tell you they sure passed my inspection. Man as a gent I let them leave first,, only to see them manuver in those silver mini's. Silver bullits may not be the best beer but the memories!!!!!!! ST poly girl had nothing on the twins and Twinsssss

Elk, that was funny!

gotta love the "silver bullits"

seaken said:
When we were in Virginia they sell spirits in the grocery, as well as beer and wine. That makes the most sense to me. But I suppose the boys who control such things here in New York won't be letting that happen any time soon. Oh well. Good thing my store is right next door to a good wine and spirits Liquor Store. But no beer in the liquor stores around here.

In Virginia you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store but you have to go to a state owned liquor store for spirits. By the door on the way out they have a facsimile of a check showing the millions of dollars in profits they made off of you last year from the sales.

Makes you want to take a slug right there in the parking lot.

BrotherBart said:
seaken said:

In Virginia you can buy beer and wine at the grocery store but you have to go to a state owned liquor store for spirits. By the door on the way out they have a facsimile of a check showing the millions of dollars in profits they made off of you last year from the sales.

Makes you want to take a slug right there in the parking lot.

Well, it wasn't VA then. I forget where. Maybe it was when I was visiting my brother in Wisconson. Anyone from Wisconson? The beer is fogging my memory!

Sean

we have lovley 3.2 beer in grocery/convient stores, wine and liquor is only sold in liquor stores. Pete coors got a dui a few weeks ago drinking his own beer. The silver bullet is by for the most popular beer here. If im going to drink mainstream beer, i drink MGD and LITE. Any one ever notice how that good ole home brew packs on the pounds!

Plus, CO is home to the Telluride Blues & Brews Fest. A friend speaks highly of it.

I think Utah is 3.2% across the state. Makes for good lawnmower beer though. In OK, I remember finding warm "good" beer and cold not so good beer. By state law, they can't keep the stronger stuff in the cooler. Here in NY we can get beer anywhere, but you generally have to go to a "beverage center" to find a big selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.