Beetles in Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Got some dry Hickory. It is full of a boring type of beetle, that has is yellow striped abdomen. They burn well.
Will they infect the rest of the wood pile or stay with the hickory.

johnsopi said:
Got some dry Hickory. It is full of a boring type of beetle, that has is yellow striped abdomen. They burn well.
Will they infect the rest of the wood pile or stay with the hickory.
If you're burning that wood this winter, it doesn't matter because there will be no new generations of whatever it is until next spring/summer. They will just be hibernating waiting for the stove over the winter.

We burn alot of hickory, and alot of it has borers or bettles in it. I stacked it along with mulberry and oak, and the bugs stick with the hickory... they make a mess of the hickory, but don't seem to migrate to the other wood... I just tell myself they are aerating the wood for quicker seasoning.

My dad always called them "powder post beetles." They always seemed to be worse in the woodshed than in wood left out in the weather. This year I have them in the wood left outside, too. They really can make a mess, but don't seem to bother other woods. In the grub stage, they are good to fish with. Just don't store the wood indoors even for a day or two.

Powder Post Beetles are very small and make dust in the wood pile similar to talcum powder. They can and will infest your home if the wood is left in the home or shed or if touching it. We have them in a barn and a pest control contractor said they would be costly to exterminate. They have been in the barn for many many decades as with most old barns. Good news is I was told by JC Ehrlich that it takes generations before the structural integrity of a building is compromised if ever at all. They seem to like very hard wood in the wood pile. Particularly oak, hickory ,beech, and ash most old barns were constructed of American Chestnut since it was in abundance at the turn of the century hence the term (Wormy Chestnut). The name was derived due to the fact that in barns of the past they primarily lived in the post and beams and left a pile of powder around the post hence (Powder Post Beetle) Recommend not to keep wood inside until just before it is burnt. These beetles like a warm and dry environment that is why you can find them in barns and wood sheds. The do not like it in an outside wood pile because of the moisture. If you store wood in your home they will become active and move to other sources of food (your home)

Attachments

• pplycid.gif
    pplycid.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 327
  • powderpost4.jpg
    powderpost4.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 321
They are Hickory Borers.

Status
Not open for further replies.