Before your repair man shows up...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Overfireinthehole

Minister of Fire
May 5, 2017
Miller MO
This is just a friendly reminder that before your repair man shows up your stove needs to be turned off. It’s hard to work on a hot stove, and it’s really hard to clean one. Most stoves need a good hour to be completely cooled off. If it’s still running when your repair man shows up, your likely going to get a dirty look and get rescheduled because we have better things to do than twiddle our thumbs in your living room.

He may have better things to do but remember you are also paying him by the hour
So if he is just sitting There that hour is tacked on. There are 3 of us here that do repairs.
We are together because then we can all work off one phone pay one girl to answer it
and we charge from the time we leave the shop until we return. I don't mine sitting waiting
for the stove to cool it justs means I am going to charge more. But us old guys (all retired)
are doing this just for something to do.

The problem is especially this time of year most stove or chimney service guys don't have an extra hour in the schedule to sit and wait for a stove to shut down and cool. If a pellet stove is running when I get there and I can't stop back later in the day you are getting rescheduled. Which right now is the end of Nov.

Reactions: Overfireinthehole
So do you charge xtra for return call? If not why not, two trips.
It depends if the first visit was out of the way or not. But yes I do many times

I charge a flat rate for two hours with a dollar a mile for every mile after 30. If I’m there longer than two hours it’s 60 an hour after the two. If it’s a long drive I will wait on a stove to cool off and probably charge them for an extra hour, but if it’s local and it’s call number 2 in a 5-6 call day, I’m rescheduling you.