Benjamin cc500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Coles89

Jan 21, 2020
Newfoundland
Hey I have a Benjamin combo wood and oil cc 500 I find that I can’t warm my house real good with just wood I had to have the oil going to, just wondering have anyone experienced this problem!

Also this is a house I bought and the house has basement and up stairs for a total of 3600 square feet

Yes. For 17 years. It is the nature of that beast, due to its simple inefficient design, and there is nothing you can do to improve it aside from replacing it with something better.

due to its simple inefficient design
I don't know much about their products other than the fact that I looked into their FS140 wood/oil forced air unit while doing research for a new furnace and the specs on their site said the firebox was round and manufactured with 1/8" stainless and required no fire bricks- kinda made me wonder how long that would last before warping.

Yes. For 17 years. It is the nature of that beast, due to its simple inefficient design, and there is nothing you can do to improve it aside from replacing it with something better.
Can you remember what you had all your settings on did you follow the manual or try changing the settings some to get more heat?

Can't remember, but I don't think I consulted the manual much. I had a pipe damper. It was a fine line between having it closed enough to try to stop all the heat going up the pipe, and open enough so it wouldn't make creosote as fast. Changing settings won't have much effect. Just a bad basic design.

Reactions: Coles89
Can't remember, but I don't think I consulted the manual much. I had a pipe damper. It was a fine line between having it closed enough to try to stop all the heat going up the pipe, and open enough so it wouldn't make creosote as fast. Changing settings won't have much effect. Just a bad basic design.
did you go with a different boiler after and if so what did you get

Yes. Info all in my signature.

Edit: or maybe that isn't apparent. Can be seen under 'about' in profile. It is a Varmebaronon UB 40. But that required a system upgrade to include thermal storage.