Benjamin wood oil boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenman

Jan 4, 2009
Monmouth
Anyone have any experience with the Benjamin wood/oil combo boilers?? Also will any of these wood combo boilers operate properly w/o water storage?

I do not own one yet but the local dealer has me convinced this will work great for my new home I am building. I wanted to hear from those who may have them. How much wood/oil have you burned through that has you alarmed? Also would like to hear what your's ended up costing if you don't mind you can email me privately if you would like.

A conventional wood-fired boiler will work just fine without storage. Same thing with a combo.

The problem I have with combination boilers in general--and I owned and operated one for 9 years--is that you don't have a backup if the boiler springs a leak. That's not likely to happen for years, but when/if it does, you're kind of stuck. The other problem with many combos is that they vent both oil and gas first into the same flue. That's allowed by code, but I don't think it's desirable or safe. But it's certainly an option worth considering--assuming you're aware of the safety implications.

I have thought about two seperate systems gas direct vent boiler and a stand alone wood boiler but did not want to spring for both at this time BUDGET reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.