Best Distro fan, feed, temp settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHpelletstove

Nov 12, 2016
Rochester
I'm trying to get the maximum burn and maximum heat off of my pellets and I'm trying a few different things.
I'd like some advice though.

Note that I run using the stove temp not the room temp.

With my temperature dial at 4 and stove temp (distribution blower) at medium-high, and feed adjuster at 2, I feel like I'm blowing most of the heat into the room and not up the stack while using as little pellets as possible.
Thus getting the most burn/heat out of the pellets as possible.
Does this sound correct? Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the feed set at 2 you may not be feeding the stove enough pellets to satisfy the ESP. Harman recommends setting it around 4. Your manual also shows how to set the feed for maximum burn. Once you do this you don't need to change the feed setting unless you switch to a different brand of pellets.your other two settings are fine but I think you need to increase your feed

My take on the feed rate. Hopefully it makes sense.

The feed rate is there to compensate for the size and quality of pellet you are burning. A poorer quality pellet will require more pellets for the heat setting you have dialed in as will the size. A longer pellet won't feed as many pellets as a shorter one and vice versa. When running your stove at full tilt, you set your feed rate to keep 1inch of ash at the end of your burn pot. This prevents the stove from feeding to many pellets and pushing unburned pellets in the ash bin. Generally setting a feed rate of 4 meets the needs of most pellets you will burn. Remember it is a maximum time in one 1 min that the auger will turn. If the auger runs for 15 secs and that meets the needs of the heat demand it won't need to feed more pellets. If it needs more more pellets to meet the heat demand and it hits it max time, oh well no more pellets until the next cycle. You really shouldn't run into something like that at a low, medium or medium high settings at a feed rate of 4. Really I believe it is only something that has a big effect at full tilt because the stove has no idea if the pellets are completely burning. Oh and setting a feed rate really low such as 2 will have a negative effect on you heat output since it won't feed as many pellets as needed. This is from my experience with using my P43.
thus should help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.