Best softwood Pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

grub

Nov 2, 2019
Belleville ontario
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Looking for some advice on softwood wood pellets. Have historically burned hardwood pellets. Have a Harmon
Accentra stove. I'm located in south eastern Ontario
The Softwood wood pellets available in my area include:
Lacwood (Home Hardware)
Granulco (Rona or local farm store)
Surefire (Canadian Tire)
Lacrete (Home Depot)
Suggestions/anyone have experience with these pellets?
Thanks,
Rob

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. Looking for some advice on softwood wood pellets. Have historically burned hardwood pellets. Have a Harmon
Lacwood (Home Hardware)
Surefire (Canadian Tire)
Lacrete (Home Depot)
Thanks,
Rob

Rob,

I think you'll be happy with any 100% softwood pellet in comparison to hardwood pellets. The heat output will be higher and ash produced a good bit less. I'm burning Energex Golden pellets this season. Sadly I have no experience with your available selection.

Hugh

Hi,
Lacwood (Home Hardware)
Surefire (Canadian Tire)
Lacrete (Home Depot)
Thanks,
Rob
The only brand that I recognize is La Crete - a decent pellet.
I have been burning softwood for years - higher BTU's, a LOT less ash & clinkers.
My favorites SOFTWOODS are: Matra, Easy Blaze, Logik-e. All of these have close to 9,000 BTU's, & .2% ash.
I use to buy Douglas Fir - forget it! Too expensive. They're coming from the West Coast, so you're paying for the shipping. You can get the same results with my favorite softwood pellets, and almost $100/ton less!
By the way, I, too, am burning these pellets in a Harman Accentra stove. Mine is the insert.

Rob,

I think you'll be happy with any 100% softwood pellet in comparison to hardwood pellets. The heat output will be higher and ash produced a good bit less. I'm burning Energex Golden pellets this season. Sadly I have no experience with your available selection.

Hugh
buned those energex goldens about 5 yrs ago..
they stopped producing them shortly after a big fire at the Energex Pa plant..
good to see they are on the market again.... lot better and less ash than th hardwood version....

Burning my last bag of LaCrete in an Accentra 52i. Can’t get much better that that. Nice heat, low ash.