Best stove for my circa 1850 cottage renovation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seven7ten

Oct 14, 2018
UK
Hi,

I'm currently renovating an old cottage (circa 1850). It's being completely redone and is going to be well insulated.

I'm doing the fireplace at the moment for a wood stove. Will be using 9" Suffolk clay pamments on the base. The two walls in the alcoves will be studded out with timber, celotex inserted and then plasterboarded/plastered with oak floating shelves both sides.

It's a solid English oak beam, waxed with beeswax.

Fireplace gap is 675mm wide and 1150mm tall to bottom of beam.

Room is about 20m2 and open doors to another 20m2 room.

Been looking at the Aga ludlow - nominal 6.5kw (max 9.7kw). It's 450mm wide by 588mm tall.

Do you think this will work for my setup? As in not too powerful for the small gap and to be that close to the beam and timber shelves etc?

Any suggestions for a good stove?

Thanks
Best stove for my circa 1850 cottage renovation

Last edited by a moderator:
This side of the pond. I am not familiar with the stove you mention.

Best thing I can say from what you shared is to match your wishes with the published clearance to combustibles for the stove you are hoping to put in service.