Biasi Boiler Dump Zone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vanhoesenj

Oct 18, 2006
I've read everything I can that already exists on this site and a few other and I can't seem to find a consensus. I'm installing a Biasi 3Wood boiler as a stand alone boiler (no oil back up). The piping schematics indicate the need for a dump zone, but they aren't very specific about the type. I've come across two possibilities and hope that someone has a strong opinion on one or the other.

1. Pipe directly into the first floor radiators (large old steam rads that hold a lot of water). My understanding is that this will act as a gravity feed system and dissipate the heat into the first floor.

2. Pipe into radiators in the basement (create a loop in the basement that dissipates heat).

A few questions that concern me are:

1. The schematic indicates piping off the supply prior to the expansion tank into the dump zone and into the return after the circulator. So what stops the system from always acting as a gravity feed system. Do I need a valve in the supply side that only opens when the electric shuts off? I read this link:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21084/

And they state they are going to use a N.O. valve. Still seems like the system can go around the circulator then even if the stat isn't calling for heat.

2. If I pipe into the radiators, don't they need to be above the boiler to initiate the gravity feed? So hang them from the ceiling?

Thanks for any thoughts, this a new kind of monster and want to make sure I get the dump zone right since it's the only boiler.

John

John Van Hoesen said:
1. The schematic indicates piping off the supply prior to the expansion tank into the dump zone and into the return after the circulator. So what stops the system from always acting as a gravity feed system. Do I need a valve in the supply side that only opens when the electric shuts off? I read this link:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21084/

And they state they are going to use a N.O. valve. Still seems like the system can go around the circulator then even if the stat isn't calling for heat.

A normally-open valve is open when no power is applied - it closes when the system is powered-up.

When you lose power, it pops open and allows flow.

John Van Hoesen said:
2. If I pipe into the radiators, don't they need to be above the boiler to initiate the gravity feed? So hang them from the ceiling?

Yes. They can be hung from the ceiling, or supported on blocks, or whatever.

Alternately, you can use a pump and a battery backup.

Alternately alternately, if you install pressurized storage, you can get gravity flow into the storage tank.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.