Big E #2 Error

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
I've been having this problem with my Big E this winter. If I run the stove on 4 or 5 I will get the #2 error within an hour of operation. If I run it on 1, 2, or 3 it will run properly.

I've read the manual and done all the recommended cleaning, I've checked the pressure switch and cleaned the pressure switch tube. I've even disconnected the OAK just in case there was a constriction I couldn't feel or see, but despite that I still get the #2 error after an hour of operation.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Andy

It sounds like an air flow issue, Check seal around door with dollar bill. Check to make sure the glass has a good seal as well. Does your Big-E have an ash pan, if so check that seal.

I've cleaned and checked all those seals. This unit has had less than 1/2 ton of pellets burned in it.

Thanks,
Andy

Yup, I have tried a variety of damper settings including fully open and the result was the same.

It varies as I pull the damper in and out. I am able to adjust it so it looks like what the Breckwell manual says it should look like.

Hum, thats a head scratcher. What does the glass look like? Lots of black soot or light colored ash? Is the burn pot filling up with unburned pellets?

A little bit of black at the top of the window, but it's primarily a light tan that you can see through.

It doesn't run long enough to do that when it's on settings 4 and 5. However, it does on settings 1 - 3 . I fired the stove up last night to dry out the tractor after a day of plowing and this morning when I shut it off the pot was about 3/4 full.

It was still burning properly, but I know if I had let it run for a few more hours there would have been pellets spilling out of the burn pot.

If the burn pot is filling up, sounds like the air flow damper is not open far enough or you have a leak somewhere or could be bad pellets. Can't help you out regarding the pellets as you have different brands out there compared to here in Wisconsin. Try a few bags of another brand. Set your air flow damper open enough to have the pellets slightly dancing in the pot when burning.

Has the combustion blower been removed from the stove, and cleaned completely (scrape/wirebrush fins carefully)? Has the entire exhaust pipe been cleaned?

Status
Not open for further replies.