Big E burn pot...Scrape, or scrape out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travlnusa

Nov 8, 2008
NW Wisconsin
My wife and were cleaning the stove yesterday and were wondering if we are managing the burn pot the right way. Each day I stir up the burn pot. Take the tool and scrape the sides and bottom.

We got thinking, should be scraping OUT the burn pot into the ash pan and having the fire start over again, or are we doing it the right way?

We run it on setting #2 or #3 when it gets below 0 degrees.

Just an odd thought that came to mind.

Until one of the Big E experts reply to this, I thought I would just mention what I had read. The scraper tool looks to be used to stir the hopper. Stir the hopper to help prevent pellet bridging across the opening. Use the same tool to scrape (not stir) the ashes from out of the burn pot. You just want to scrape the burnt ashes not the burning pellets.

Hoefully someone will either correct me or elaberate on this. (Pulled from in the manual page 13.)

I almost never scrape or stir my burn pot. I do scrape it when I clean it every week. I may stir it one time a week , but its not a ritual .

stir it a few times a day or scrape it once. If you see clinkers open the damper more.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.