Big Flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pertzbro

Feeling the Heat
Aug 2, 2016
NW Iowa
I spend most of my time on the wood side of things. What gas units offer a large flame? Most of the time I see the more standard modern gas units and there isnt much difference between high and a pilot light. I understand efficiency might go out the window but sometimes its about the look and ambiance.

Thanks,

Not sure what stoves you've looking at, but for the most part,
there is no comparison between the LOW setting & the pilot.
The pilot burns 800 BTU/HR. The larger heating stoves burn 40,000.
Jotul makes a couple of different stoves with large flame presentation,
as does Regency. There are others as well, The larger BTU rated units will have
larger flames, since they will burn more fuel. Many have a 50% turn down &
the flames are way lower on the low setting, but STILL larger than the pilot.
Go to a hearth shop & look at the various models & see what the hi & lo flames
look like.

I spend most of my time on the wood side of things. What gas units offer a large flame? Most of the time I see the more standard modern gas units and there isnt much difference between high and a pilot light. I understand efficiency might go out the window but sometimes its about the look and ambiance.

Thanks,

Are you looking for a fireplace? Insert? Stove?

Personally I like Mendota and Kozy Heat

Reactions: sticks