big jack 125 or kuumo gasifier

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cenzino

Hearth Supporter
Mar 8, 2008
connecticut
I am looking for some input about these two products. I basically do not know much about the kuumo hot air furnace gasifier.Is anyone out there curently using one?
how long of a burn you get, do you like it ? how does it work, there is no heath storage like in a boiler. any info from people whom are currently using any of these two products, would be appreciated.Again how long of a burn you can expect out of them etc. I need to make up my mind on which way I should go, and this info will help greatly.

Burn times can be a wide array of times.
How dry is your wood?
How well is your home insulated?
Which furnace are you using as there are different sizes?

Properly sized with a proper install and dry wood being burned most of our customers see 8-12 hours depending on what type of hardwood you'll be using.

Keith, I have apr.3000sq' home with 18' ceilings, built in 1996, it is good insulated. I am currently on a forced hot air system. I have been contepleting on a bj 125, which I understand it is what your company makes. Also would like to have the domestic hot water heather option .However, I am also looking at the kuumo hot air furnace gasifier.Can you tell me why should I go with your product, vs. the kuumo. What would be the advatage, except the initial cost.

Thanks

You'll need a SJ125 to heat your home with 2 loads a day.
It has a 30 year prorated warranty that in the 11 years I've been here I've never had to honor one.They last a long time with that rolled 7 gauge top that seems impossible to warp and split. I went to Kumo Wood Stoves to see which one would be a apples to apples comparison.
There are none.
These are stoves,not furnaces.
I see they have catylitic reburns,we on the other hand do not use a screen that will plug but we inject super hot air into the smoke causing the reburn.
The SJ125 will heat that home on about 1 cord of hardwood per month.
If you want pretty,buy the Kumo.
If you want efficiency and dependabilty heating the whole home even without power buy the Jack.

To address gasifyers.....there are no real gasifiers on the market.That term is used very loosly to indicate a secondary burn of the smoke that comes off of a fire.

The counter-current fixed bed ("up draft") gasifier consists of a fixed bed of carbonaceous fuel (e.g. coal or biomass) through which the "gasification agent" (steam, oxygen and/or air) flows in counter-current configuration. The ash is either removed dry or as a slag. The slagging gasifiers require a higher ratio of steam and oxygen to carbon in order to reach temperatures higher than the ash fusion temperature. The nature of the gasifier means that the fuel must have high mechanical strength and must be non-caking so that it will form a permeable bed, although recent developments have reduced these restrictions to some extent. The throughput for this type of gasifier is relatively low. Thermal efficiency is high as the gas exit temperatures are relatively low. However, this means that tar and methane production is significant at typical operation temperatures, so product gas must be extensively cleaned before use or recycled to the reactor.

The co-current fixed bed ("down draft") gasifier is similar to the counter-current type, but the gasification agent gas flows in co-current configuration with the fuel (downwards, hence the name "down draft gasifier"). Heat needs to be added to the upper part of the bed, either by combusting small amounts of the fuel or from external heat sources. The produced gas leaves the gasifier at a high temperature, and most of this heat is often transferred to the gasification agent added in the top of the bed, resulting in an energy efficiency on level with the counter-current type. Since all tars must pass through a hot bed of char in this configuration, tar levels are much lower than the counter-current type. See here for a graphic of various downdraft gasifier architectures.

In the fluidized bed reactor, the fuel is fluidized in oxygen and steam or air. The ash is removed dry or as heavy agglomerates that defluidize. The temperatures are relatively low in dry ash gasifiers, so the fuel must be highly reactive; low-grade coals are particularly suitable. The agglomerating gasifiers have slightly higher temperatures, and are suitable for higher rank coals. Fuel throughput is higher than for the fixed bed, but not as high as for the entrained flow gasifier. The conversion efficiency can be rather low due to elutriation of carbonaceous material. Recycle or subsequent combustion of solids can be used to increase conversion. Fluidized bed gasifiers are most useful for fuels that form highly corrosive ash that would damage the walls of slagging gasifiers. Biomass fuels generally contain high levels of corrosive ash.

In the entrained flow gasifier a dry pulverized solid, an atomized liquid fuel or a fuel slurry is gasified with oxygen (much less frequent: air) in co-current flow. The gasification reactions take place in a dense cloud of very fine particles. Most coals are suitable for this type of gasifier because of the high operating temperatures and because the coal particles are well separated from one another. The high temperatures and pressures also mean that a higher throughput can be achieved, however thermal efficiency is somewhat lower as the gas must be cooled before it can be cleaned with existing technology. The high temperatures also mean that tar and methane are not present in the product gas; however the oxygen requirement is higher than for the other types of gasifiers. All entrained flow gasifiers remove the major part of the ash as a slag as the operating temperature is well above the ash fusion temperature. A smaller fraction of the ash is produced either as a very fine dry fly ash or as a black colored fly ash slurry. Some fuels, in particular certain types of biomasses, can form slag that is corrosive for ceramic inner walls that serve to protect the gasifier outer wall. However some entrained bed type of gasifiers do not possess a ceramic inner wall but have an inner water or steam cooled wall covered with partially solidified slag. These types of gasifiers do not suffer from corrosive slags. Some fuels have ashes with very high ash fusion temperatures. In this case mostly limestone is mixed with the fuel prior to gasification. Addition of a little limestone will usually suffice for the lowering the fusion temperatures. The fuel particles must be much smaller than for other types of gasifiers. This means the fuel must be pulverized, which requires somewhat more energy than for the other types of gasifiers. By far the most energy consumption related to entrained bed gasification is not the milling of the fuel but the production of oxygen used for the gasification

Status
Not open for further replies.