Big Leaf Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjs777_fzr

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Found this in the yard today - never ran across one this big so put a measure tape to it.
Anyone see Maple leafs this big before ?

Looks like a Norway or possibly a sugar maple. Bigleaf maple is predominant out in the Pacific Northwest, if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it exists in the northeast. BTW I've seen some pretty damm big leaves on Norways around here......

Nope not around here

Reactions: ScotO
Wow, as big a a zucchini squash plant leaf.
Add them to your compost pile ;)

We had a sycamore with leaves that big and looked similar. Does the main trunk look like camouflage?

We had a sycamore with leaves that big and looked similar. Does the main trunk look like camouflage?
Nope - the trunks are all very plain looking.
Folks around me have always said they are Norway Maples planted throughout the area.
My subject line Big Leaf Maple - well now I know there really is a species called that - out West.
So it must be a Norway but - thats just one big leaf!

I have seen plenty of Norway Maple but never a leaf that large. You have Norway Maple and maybe a radiation problem!

Reactions: Taylor Sutherland
Here are a few pics of the big leaf maple in my yard. They are all over the place and vary in size. I could only get a couple of shots of smaller ones (~20' tall); the big ones (40+') were too far back in the woods for me to photo in my slippers :).

IMAG0647.jpgIMAG0651.jpgIMAG0661.jpg

Found another one - and since this significantly dwarfs the previous one I found I figured I'd share it - if they get any bigger I'm gonna have to look up what the largest leaf ever found measures in at - because this is getting up there.
15" from tip to tip -

I have bigleaf maples of different sizes all over my property. The biggest leaves are on the younger trees. Funny this came up now, as last week I took a phone pic of my boot next to a big leaf in my driveway and sent it to a friend.
Won't be long until I'm knee deep in maple leaves.

I have bigleaf maples of different sizes all over my property. The biggest leaves are on the younger trees. Funny this came up now, as last week I took a phone pic of my boot next to a big leaf in my driveway and sent it to a friend.
Won't be long until I'm knee deep in maple leaves.

I've found that many times the biggest leaf is on the young trees. Especially sassafras. Some of those are really huge.

Here I thought all maples were like that.

I pulled this off a tree out by the road this morning.

Attachments

• bigleaf.jpg
    bigleaf.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 171
I'm thinking Norweigian Maple. I have one in my yard. My leaves are huge and look the same and turn yellow in the late fall.

I'm thinking Norweigian Maple. I have one in my yard. My leaves are huge and look the same and turn yellow in the late fall.
Just to clarify you mean Norway Maple right ? Since I searched for Norwegian and didn't find that exact term. Yep - I have many Norway Maples around my area - just not that size leaf usually.

Here are a few pictures of the Norway or Norwegian maple tree. This tree was planted around 25 years ago.

Attachments

• Norway 1.JPG
    Norway 1.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Norway 2.JPG
    Norway 2.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 151
Status
Not open for further replies.