Bigger saw time. Thinking used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
Family down the road who has supplied me with most of my firewood for the last couple years is in need of someone to cut wood now. They have large piece of land and from time to time HUGE trees fall where they need them cut up and moved. Suits me fine. They are good people. I'm going down there this weekend. I have a 14 inch poulan. I know they had a large Husky and probly still have it. I might offer to buy it unless it's a model that would be too expensive for me...like an xp model, etc. I would want to offer them a fair price and I really do not want to spend more than 250 for a used saw, 300 for new. If not I will be looking for a saw elsewhere.husky and stihl are top on my list. 50 cc or larger. I see them for sale in the local trading post magazine from time to time. Might check the local repair shops to see what they have available. There's a shindaiwa place near here but they are very pricey and I have never seen anyone else who advertises them so I would worry about repair costs, etc.

Any ideas?

I think that getting a big, used saw for firewood is a good idea. Just make sure that it's new enough to have an inertial (internal) chain brake. You might pay a few more bucks at a dealer, but then you'll have decent tech support, which can be important with a used saw. Plus, a dealer is going to make sure that the saw he sells you is in decent shape. And I would stick with the better brands--Husqvarna, Stihl or Jonsereds.

HI DavidV,

I bought my Husky on Ebay. I did a lot of research and settled for a 359. Largest semi pro model. 18" bar.

Great saw. Very powerful. $300. Excellent condition. I had it checked out after I received it in the mail. The Husky dealer could not believe the condition it was in. His used ones would never be that nice. I guess I got lucky.

Auction in the local paper are good too. Or ask around. Lot's of people have one in the garage they never use. Spread the word and people might call.

Good luck

CarpNiels

Ditto what Eric said above.

Most pro saws will last a long time and can be rebuilt..my Husky 181 is around 23 years old. still gets it done in good shape.

Finding some parts can be a challenge but a good dealer and being active on a couple forums helps!!

I am leary of buying anything used that has required that someone mix fuel and oil. Specifically a chainsaw. Just make sure that whomever perviously owned that saw that it was well taken care of. And to repeat what was stated eariler, make sure that any saw you purchase has the chain brake, chain catcher, and a full handleguard. There are a lot of older saws out there for sale that are just not a safe as todays newer saws.

I would go for a new Husky or Stihl.

I am very paranoid about others maintenance habits. I would only buy a used saw from someone I knew.

Husky or Stihl, well maintained, will last for many years. I'm on the 5th year on my Stihl, and it just keeps going after a fair amount of abuse. My Poulan melted a piston after about 6 hours of use.

Buying used saws can be a little sketchy. If the person you are buying it fromwill let you take the muffler of and look at the piston to see if it's scored. if it is dont buy it. Becareful and do a lot of looking

John

After your experience with my liner vendor I am probably the last guy you want to hear from, but here goes.

You appear to be in the wood burning and gathering business for the long haul. If so get you a new saw and you won't ever be sorry. You will know who broke it in and its history because you and that bad boy are going to be working together for a long time. If there is a more personal power tool in existence I don't know what it is. You and that saw work together or you fight it every step of the way. And a saw ain't something ya wanna fight with. A problem saw takes your mind off of what you are doing and that be dangerous in the wood cutting activity.

Maybe tree service guys can pull whichever one is running off the truck and be comfortable with it but I don't think the occasional wood cutter can do that.

In the $300 range and for the cutting you are going to be doing look at a saw like the Husky 455. It may cost thirty or forty bucks more than a used saw but just look at that as the cost of it having a new chain, which you will probably end up buying for a used saw anyway.

And as for people talking about the box stores having lesser quality Huskies, my local Huskie dealer disagrees. He says they are the same ones he would get if he ordered that model. He just does not stock the same ones they do because he can't compete on price.

My .02.

Brother Bart...I'm not too bummed by the liner. It's a PITA but that is just the breaks. Renting a lift tomorrow to "get er done". As for the saw, I think I have found it. I called down to the folks I'm cutting for Saturday and asked if they still had their larger saw. Was told they do and I was welcome to use it this weekend. .....I know that the old man never lent his saw to anyone....was very particular about it. She then mentioned that he wanted to sell it so I asked what model and how much. She checked and called back. He is selling his truck, tractor , saw, and some other items that will not see any more use.IT's not the same husky he had in the storm 3 years ago.....he traded that one in for a bigger one. 24 inch bar. my guess is a 372 xp I believe the previous saw was a 359 or a 455. She mentioned a price. I have to make sure they were going to ask that price no matter who bought it, because it was a bit low. I don't want to take advantage...but if he was gonna ask that price (or close) of anyone, I want it. I do not have to even look at the saw. With this man I know it's tip top condition. Everything he had was. He comes from another time. Work hard till you can't work anymore, and clean up every day so you are ready to jump back in it tomorrow. If it works out, I'll probably get a shorter bar for most use and keep the biggin for special occaions. I'll keep everyone posted and I'm sure I will have many questions since this will be a large step up in saws for me.

David

Well... while you are down there would you check out the tractor and find out what it is and what they are asking? Just 90 miles away and have been looking for one.

From what you say about this gentleman he has equipment worth having.

As I recal it is a kubota. Pretty thing. If I had a couple more acre's I am sure I would be able to convince the wife I needed it. Yes. he took good care of his things and good care of his family. He's leaving a big footprint. Lots of folks will be trying to help them out when he goes. Cutting wood is fun to me so I have no problem going down there and cutting up logs. Besides, I'm getting fat....I need the exercise.

David

DavidV said:
Brother Bart...I'm not too bummed by the liner. It's a PITA but that is just the breaks. Renting a lift tomorrow to "get er done". As for the saw, I think I have found it. I called down to the folks I'm cutting for Saturday and asked if they still had their larger saw. Was told they do and I was welcome to use it this weekend. .....I know that the old man never lent his saw to anyone....was very particular about it. She then mentioned that he wanted to sell it so I asked what model and how much. She checked and called back. He is selling his truck, tractor , saw, and some other items that will not see any more use.IT's not the same husky he had in the storm 3 years ago.....he traded that one in for a bigger one. 24 inch bar. my guess is a 372 xp I believe the previous saw was a 359 or a 455. She mentioned a price. I have to make sure they were going to ask that price no matter who bought it, because it was a bit low. I don't want to take advantage...but if he was gonna ask that price (or close) of anyone, I want it. I do not have to even look at the saw. With this man I know it's tip top condition. Everything he had was. He comes from another time. Work hard till you can't work anymore, and clean up every day so you are ready to jump back in it tomorrow. If it works out, I'll probably get a shorter bar for most use and keep the biggin for special occaions. I'll keep everyone posted and I'm sure I will have many questions since this will be a large step up in saws for me.

David
A Husqvarna 372XP in good shape around $450.oo is a real good buy. If its less............its one hell of a deal. (retail is about $800.oo ) Internet new was going for around $650.oo
Husqvarna 359 good /used would be about $325/$350. ( retail is about $560.oo) internet new is around $429.oo
The Husqvarna 455 is the new model of the 55 rancher has a bit more power but is a home owner model chainsaw. = more weight/less power (used $250./$270 .) retail about $425.oo internet price about $350.oo .
The 372XP and the 359 are both pro saws tho the 359 is a little slower at the higher RMP but has a wider power band than the XP saws that are noramlly a higher end power band.

Hi -

For that kind of cash a Dolmar 5100 can be had.... Lighter than the 455, plenty of power for firewood. I was doing the same thinking recently and went with a new Dolmar. It is a joy... I'm constantly stopping to clear the work area of wood that seems to fall at a much faster rate than I'm used to.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used saw if I knew who'd been running it either.

Good luck with whatever you settle on.
Mike P

I now own a Husqvarna 365 Special. 24 inch bar with two extra chains. Also got a "can hook" in the deal. A very good price. Gonna go put her away in a minute. She's in the bed of the truck right now. I think I'll be cutting some wood in my yard tomorrow. Got some large burls I want to cut thru for a special project.

Brother bart I have the detailis on that tractor. I'll pm you on it.

DavidV said:
I now own a Husqvarna 365 Special. 24 inch bar with two extra chains. Also got a "can hook" in the deal. A very good price. Gonna go put her away in a minute. She's in the bed of the truck right now. I think I'll be cutting some wood in my yard tomorrow. Got some large burls I want to cut thru for a special project.

Brother bart I have the detailis on that tractor. I'll pm you on it.
New ? What did the friend have? not the same saw?

This was from the old man down the road. He bought a 359 in September of 03. One of his kids grandkids refuled it for him one afternoon with the wrong gas and it messed up the piston. It was repaired but didn't run to his satisfaction so Husqvarna told the relailer to replace it. Since they were replacing it he asked about upsizing. So they gave him credit and he got a 365 special with a 24 inch bar. Now it's mine.

DavidV said:
This was from the old man down the road. He bought a 359 in September of 03. One of his kids grandkids refuled it for him one afternoon with the wrong gas and it messed up the piston. It was repaired but didn't run to his satisfaction so Husqvarna told the relailer to replace it. Since they were replacing it he asked about upsizing. So they gave him credit and he got a 365 special with a 24 inch bar. Now it's mine.
Well there ya go . Great saw and ...........a good deal? be safe and dont for get your safety gear (P.P.E.)

The deal on the saw is embarrasingly good. I went over yesterday. Couldn't cut up that fallen tree for them as it was under water from the rains. Have to wait for the stream to recede and the flat to dry out a little. I sat down and talked to the man and he told me about the saw. I asked again if he was sure of the price as I knew it was a good deal. He said yes. There is a safety factor involved. He has a young teenager grandson living there. Boys tend to try to take on manly duties and he's worried about his grandson seeing some work that needs to be done and hoistinga monster chainsaw to try to do it. He wants it gone. And I think a chainsaw is a rather personal item to some people. You get attatched to it and don't want to see it misused.
Got everything for under $300.

Sweet deal Dave,

What model was is?

Carpniels

Husqvarna 365. Think I'm gonna go outside and cut that burl into slices. Wish I had a bunch of wood to cut but everhthing is basicly cut into ronds in my yard. Don't have time to head over to a neighbor who said I could have the oak that was in his yard. Dieing to cut something up here.

Holy crap what a cutting machine. sliced 3 burls into 1 and 1/2 inch boards 1- 1 1/2 feet long. Gonna sticker and dry them and next year some time, I'm gonna have some great project wood to work with. Gotta put some pictures on here. only criticism is I might need some kind of mufler guard as sawdust kept sparking up off it. Other than that it was fantastic.

DavidV said:
Holy crap what a cutting machine. sliced 3 burls into 1 and 1/2 inch boards 1- 1 1/2 feet long. Gonna sticker and dry them and next year some time, I'm gonna have some great project wood to work with. Gotta put some pictures on here. only criticism is I might need some kind of mufler guard as sawdust kept sparking up off it. Other than that it was fantastic.

The Richmond cops are looking for you. You stole that saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.