Bigger version of B&D alligator lopper or similar tool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TwoCoasts

Nov 17, 2021
Mid Hudson Valley, NY
I have this Black & Decker cordless alligator lopper, and it’s a great little tool for dealing with branches, saplings, and woody shrubs:
https://www.blackanddecker.com/prod...tting/20v-max-lithium-alligator-lopper/llp120. The covered-chain clamping design feels relatively safer than a traditional chainsaw to me: I trust myself to use it without too much risk of winning a Darwin Award for innate stupidity—something I can’t say about a traditional chainsaw. It’s rated to only cut up to 4” diameter, same as other mini, clamping chainsaw-type tools (Worx JawSaw, Craftsman cordless lopper). Question: is anyone aware of a tool with a similar covered-chain clamping design that is rated for somewhat larger diameter cuts? If I work around a branch/sapling, I can push this one up to about 5”, but it would be nice to cut things a bit larger.

Get a cordless sawzall...
Nobody makes one of those for bigger wood

Reactions: TwoCoasts
Look around your area and find some chainsaw training to take.
It would make you more confident to use a chainsaw.
Bonus is that learning a new skill is good for your greymatter