Bio bricks in a vigas 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Splitmonster

Sep 29, 2013
Tolland. Ct
This is my first year running a vigas 40 boiler. Plus its been supper cold and i guess i didnt pack enough wood away for this year. I was wondering what every one thinks about running biobricks in a gasser. Looks like i only have enough wood to get me through February so i was thinking of getting a pallet of biobricks and mixing it in with my cord wood to stretch it out some. What do you think?

That's about your only option. That, or buy some kiln dried.

Never ran more than one at a time as a test/fire starter. Let us know how it goes.

One thing's for sure.. that will be motivation to GET AHEAD on wood supply. :)

JP

Well im all set for next year. Ive got about two years css but its just not ready for this years burn. It sucks looking at a huge pile stacked up but cant use any of it. I have tryed some not so dry wood and it just is t worth it.

We've all been there during "year one" It's a much better feeling knowing the wood I'm splitting now will have a few birthdays before I need it.

JP

same boat here and have thought of the biobrick thing. i was able to scroung a cord of standing dead pine and hemlock. drying some poplar blow downs from last fall too. but i dont have a gasser (bout the only good thing about it) so it works for this year. i too have next year css.

Bio bricks are fantastic fuel - about 5% moisture content I think. Because they are so dry and have so much surface area they gasify VERY well. You will definitely need to increase your secondary air. You may even find that there is so much wood gas being produced that you cannot get enough secondary and the secondary burns rich and starts to "chuff". Because of this, I would encourage you to mix bio bricks in with your remaining firewood to make that last longer as opposed to burning them straight. Love the bio brick-type fuel, but the super-fuel characteristics mean you will need to tweak your air settings. Around here they are about the same price as pellets ($250.00 a ton?)

Status
Not open for further replies.