Birds!?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

walhondingnashua

Minister of Fire
Jul 23, 2016
ohio
I'm pretty observant of the birds around my house and that come to my feeders. Being a forum off woodsman that notice a great deal in the woods, I have a question. I have noticed a very high number of birds this year, as well as many species that I have not had before. My neighbors and a few other people within a few miles of me are experiencing that same thing. I understand population fluctuations, but this is a little outside of that norm. I am curious if anyone else is seeing higher than normal numbers of birds and species?

Reactions: SpaceBus
I'm pretty observant of the birds around my house and that come to my feeders. Being a forum off woodsman that notice a great deal in the woods, I have a question. I have noticed a very high number of birds this year, as well as many species that I have not had before. My neighbors and a few other people within a few miles of me are experiencing that same thing. I understand population fluctuations, but this is a little outside of that norm. I am curious if anyone else is seeing higher than normal numbers of birds and species?
I think it has to do with the decrease in human activity. My wife and I have noticed the same thing at our house, but with an increase in numbers and activity rather than a change in species. Our resident ravens have been busy chasing away harriers and osprey. Plus I saw two species of woodpecker that I've never seen in person, although I did hear them in the woods last year. A flock of turkey hens actually walked right past our kitchen window.

It's the same on our property, I'm seeing more deer on our property but that's because the Multi Use Trail (atv's) runs up through some of the neighboring propertys which I think is scaring them down to our property.

We have a ton of Baltimore Orioles this year, that we keep supplied with grape jelly. Yesterday, I had a hawk swoop down and grab a Robbin, literally 20 ft in front of me. Never witnessed that before.

i have been outside everyday it's not raining and i haven't noticed any increase. if anything i haven't seen the flocks of grackles. I've seen one or two here and there but haven't noticed the normal flock of about one hundred of them at a time here in mass

I am seeing and hearing less birds this spring. I normally have gangs of robins and some resident mourning doves. I have seen one robin and the mourning doves havent shown up yet.

I know the previous owners talked about watching deer in the yard. Never saw any while my ex and her kids were here. Now it’s just me I see them here and there.

Human activity could go both ways right now. Job market has tanked but people are spending more time at home. I’m not seeing any more wildlife activity, other than being home more during the week to see it.

It also took forever to get warm and now it was below freezing last night and here I am running the stove again. Might delay the birds from going farther north. I haven’t seen June bugs or really a lot of anything yet. Probably just been too cold. Last weekend got hot but it came and went quickly.

I am seeing and hearing less birds this spring. I normally have gangs of robins and some resident mourning doves. I have seen one robin and the mourning doves havent shown up yet.
It's the opposite here. Robins are everywhere, even nesting in a tree right next to our patio door. I hear mourning doves every morning and evening this year compared to last spring. The black flies and mosquitoes have been almost nonexistent this year with the booming bird population.

Bird numbers seem to be down here however the owl numbers are up, especially the barred owls. There are more chipmunks this year than I have seen in a long time so that may explain the abundance of owls.

We have more birds here than any other year that I can recall. Also have herds of deer an turkeys all way above normal. We had a pair of Wood Ducks in our pond, along with several mating pairs of Mallards.

Reactions: begreen
Looks to be a pretty random situation then. People either seeing far more than normal or far less. Just some odd stuff I guess.

Working outside today I was appreciating just how many birds were singing. It was absolutely delightful. If they are happy, I am happy.