BIS 1.2 baffle question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tc53

May 11, 2022
Weed, CA
Hi. I'm new to this forum. I just replaced the rear refractory panel and baffle on my BIS 1.2 stove. Installing the baffle last (I've done this before), I was not sure whether the beveled edge of the baffle goes toward the back (perhaps to better meet the flat top edge of the rear panel) or the front. I decided to put it toward the back. Not sure it would make any difference in terms of performance, but I thought I would check this forum to see if anyone has advice regarding this baffle installation question.

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I just replaced the rear refractory panel and baffle on my BIS 1.2 stove. Installing the baffle last (I've done this before), I was not sure whether the beveled edge of the baffle goes toward the back (perhaps to better meet the flat top edge of the rear panel) or the front. I decided to put it toward the back. Not sure it would make any difference in terms of performance, but I thought I would check this forum to see if anyone has advice regarding this baffle installation question.
I believe back, which is what we did. Could you help me with a question concerning the ash pan and grate?

Hi, I purchased a home with a BIS 1.2 and learning before we use. We took out top baffle to do chimney sweep and the baffle cracked so we started the process of trying to find another which we did but in the hunt see we are missing the ash pan and grate. I found both but they are pretty pricey and I wanted to see your thoughts on if we can use any grate that fits and not even have an ash pan.

Thank you for your help. (I’m new to this forum so I’m not 100% yet on how to ask the question to a group)

Kim

Yes, the stove should have the BIS grate and ashpan installed before using.

Yes, the stove should have the BIS grate and ashpan installed before using.
Thank you for your quick response. Would it be ok if if we used a grate that fits but isn’t the specific part of the 1.2? And do you know if it will harm anything if we don’t buy the ash pan? I’m trying to save money because it’s expensive and if it will harm the fireplace then I’ll just hold off on using it until we make the purchases. Thank you.

I don't know about the grate without seeing how well or poorly it fits. The stove should not be operated without the ashpan. In the least, could a large baking pan with high edges be used?