Bixby 115 troubles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dandersox

Jan 15, 2017
Central Iowa
Hello, I have been running a Bixby 115 for 10 years. It has been pretty good to me, I have had to replace the ignitors a few times. I am also kind of bummed that they went out of business a couple years after I bought mine.
Anyhow, I am burning wood pellet fuel and all this season mine has had an issue where it will run for several hours (like 5 or 6 or 7) and then just shut down and dump the pot with leds 2 and 3 flashing. I guess this is a blocked flue alarm. I can usually restart it and it will run for several hours again and shut down. I have thoroughly cleaned the flue several times. I have played with the knobs to richen up the fuel and turn down the fan etc. It still does it. I am running 2.06 firmware and thought the 2.73 might help me. Does anyone have version 2.73 that I can bum from them? I have a laptop I connect and I have watched the telemitry screen. The thermocouple reading goes up and down.quite a bit from 230 to 160 or so and back up but I don't really know what I should see there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Welcome. I have a Bixby that is happier eating corn as it should:)
I was having the almost same issue at the start of the season and it was the gasket sealing the floor plates letting enough air through to mess with things. I did some repair and it ran all last week but still needs the stove tape gasket replaced. Maybe this week as the temps are going to be above freezing.
There is a seal on the feed wheel that gets chewed up real fast if using pellets and that can do the same thing in letting in to much air and throwing the code. A much better seal was made by looping a piece of material. "Rona" maybe able to help you there as that's where I got mine.
The latest firmware is 2.9 ?
Will attempt to shoot you a PM with it

Reactions: bags
I was having the almost same issue at the start of the season and it was the gasket sealing the floor plates letting enough air through to mess with things. I did some repair and it ran all last week but still needs the stove tape gasket replaced. Maybe this week as the temps are going to be above freezing.
There is a seal on the feed wheel that gets chewed up real fast if using pellets and that can do the same thing in letting in to much air and throwing the code. A much better seal was made by looping a piece of material. "Rona" maybe able to help you there as that's where I got mine.
Thanks, I'll check those ga
Thanks, I'll check the gaskets.
I burned corn for about the first 5 years I had the stove, but for the last 5 I have been burning only wood pellets. Its more convenient for me.
I just flipped the switch to wood fuel, and I didn't have any issues until now.

That reminds me, I did upgrade the firmware to what it is now in about 2007. I purchased a PICKIT programmer at the time to use.
I can't remember what was going on that I had to do that.
So, if I could get the latest 2.73 or 2.90 from someone, I would like to try it. I'd like to keep this stove going for a couple more years
then replace it with something that won't go out of business (like Quadrifire, Harmon,? ).

What did I send you via PM?

That reminds me, I did upgrade the firmware to what it is now in about 2007. I purchased a PICKIT programmer at the time to use.
I can't remember what was going on that I had to do that.
So, if I could get the latest 2.73 or 2.90 from someone, I would like to try it. I'd like to keep this stove going for a couple more years
then replace it with something that won't go out of business (like Quadrifire, Harmon,? ).
The problem you have sounds very much like you are running lean. I say that because your stove runs good until it dumps then it won't relight because you don't have enough ash built up in the burn pot and as a result the fire is below the slicer and is dumped into the ash bucket. If you increase the fuel it will build up the ash so the fire will be sitting higher in the pot and the slicer will hold the fire above while the ash below is dumped. You probable have 2.71 software and should upgrade to 2.73 or better

Reactions: bags