Black soot in stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mudeprived

Burning Hunk
Oct 9, 2016
SW PA
Castle Serenity
Seasons: 2nd
Appalachian Pellets

I am having an issue with my stove becoming black on the inside and it shut down once due to low temps. I assume this is due to a faulty or worn door seal but I wanted to get a second opinion.

The inside of the stove has been filling up with black soot all over. It did this twice so far. I recall it doing this once last year when a bird committed suicide and made it past the fans and got into the stove (his head fell off). Poor bugger but I have since installed a screen to prevent that and I also cleaned out the pipes and blower motor/fins. Last year was the first year and I noticed the door seal did not fully touching end to end at the bottom of the door but it sealed well. This year that section is fraying apart at that spot and there is about 1/2" width of space between the two ends but I have gathered the frayed ends and packed into that gap to seal. I am guessing this is not working so well and causing too much air to enter the box which also results in low fire?

Correct me if I'm wrong and please toss me some possibilities so I check things out.

Thanks

Chris

Sound like your on the right track. Is the door warped, thats a very large gap?

have you burned the appalachian pellets before

Check your new screen to make sure it has not plugged up. I have seen it collect ash and plug exhaust

My 2 cents Ether short on combustion air
OR
You are trying to burn to low. Feed set to low
Also some pellets just burn dirty.

have you burned the appalachian pellets before

Yes. I burned a ton last season and had some leftovers that I was burning when this happened. No issues last year. I am on a new batch that I just picked up and same deal.

Check your new screen to make sure it has not plugged up. I have seen it collect ash and plug exhaust

The screen I used is 1/2" I think. Pretty big holes in it and it is clear the last time I checked a few days ago.

My 2 cents Ether short on combustion air
OR
You are trying to burn to low. Feed set to low
Also some pellets just burn dirty.

I have the exhaust set at 85 and blower at 100 just like I had it last year. If I raise the exhaust speed any more than that then it sends clinkers flying out of the pot.

Yesterday it burning like it was on steroids. The flame was huge and it put out quite a bit of heat. The day before that it was a regular flame that went below the pot frequently. It just seems random and I think it's related to how well I can get the door to seal. I will tackle the door seal and go from there.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
This is the part where the ends connect. I can pack them into the gap but I am guessing it is not sealing enough.

20171222_205748.jpg