Blaze King King KE40 ultra base issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Basic Dude

Oct 3, 2022
Idaho
Since installing the King King (KE40 ultra) October 2020 my understanding of wood stove efficiency, burn time, capacity and heat has been transformed! Especially over my older 1990 Quadra Fire. Im in north Idaho and I now light one fire a year, in October. I have no trouble keeping it going until spring. I had to light a fire every day with the Quadra fire. I considered the purchase a good investment and planned to yield the benefits for many years to come.

The improvements provided by the KE40 have been clouded by a problem I cannot ignore! The fire box and ultra base are a dangerous combination! The movement and deflection of the stove body, under normal use, is unbelievable! (See videos) Throughout my first winter use I was scratching my head every time I opened the door and put a piece of wood in. The stove wobbled upon opening the door and loading wood. In the past I would always keep a large pot of water on the stove to add moisture to the dry air. I was unable to do that as it would spill onto the wood stove, upon opening the door and loading. This is also another safety hazard that should not be ignored. Water on the glass door could easily cause a glass breakage that would lead to a runaway fire and other massive problem!

The flaws in the stove translate movement 15’ to my ceiling. This causes stress on every pipe seam screw. This double wall stainless pipe is not cheap and I’m experiencing wallowing out of the screw holes. It also causes unnecessary stress on the cathedral box. My largest concern is safety, the possibility of stove pipe failure, smoke filled house, or fire. It appears body of the stove was not properly engineered to support itself where the ultra pedestal attaches. In addition, there is noticeable movement in the base as well.

I have worked with blaze king Reps and VP at length, roughly 10 months. I was in no hurry as I expected BK to make it right. I had confident assurance from a rep that my BK40 should be like a marble pillar, that it should not move. Kinda like my 1990 QF.

I’m entering my third winter with the stove and no acceptable fix to the problem. I have been provided a new ultra base, which was even worse than the first, as it was with out a major support piece that was present on the first base. (See photo) I was also offered parlor legs and the ash box to go with it. The parlor legs would likely improve the problem. But, why are they selling their best, most expensive, king combination in a system that does not work safely or acceptably?

Over the course of describing this problem to blaze king I was given many suggestions/ solutions that had nothing to do with the root cause. I was told things like “ tighten the screws between the base and the stove, sent a video of me torquing every screw. They said “it’s not on a level surface”. They said the “floor needs more support”. I took the stove out of my home and bolted it to a cement slab with 4- 1/2 inch sleeve anchors. This made The inherent flaws even more obvious.

Now they quoted their “tip test” from PFS test labs and assured me that there is no safety hazard to my home. Moreover that they were able to assemble a KE 40 in there location and produce the same amount of movement that my videos show. Ignoring what they saw with their own eyes they claimed that this was an acceptable amount of movement. Acceptable in what way? I’ve spent a small fortune on their top-of-the-line stove. It is not safe or acceptable!

Blaze king initially acknowledged there was something wrong, as they offered a new base and other suggestions to make it better. In the end they’re now telling me that it’s completely normal and safe. The stove shakes and wiggles more than any chair, table, dresser or appliance I own. I now feel that I’m left with no choice but to warn the public.

While there are many positive attributes to what Blaze King has accomplished, I fear these attributes are rapidly becoming tainted by their efforts to save production costs and increase profit margins, as they become further disconnected from the end-user. I’m curious if the staff at Blaze King have a woodstove in their own home. If they would, in my shoes, consider this an acceptable situation.

Overall, I am frustrated and unsatisfied with this entire situation. I feel obligated to go through this process to inform the public. I see this is a product that I paid top dollar for and I expected it to work without issue. It’s been a ton of extra work and effort to document and illustrate the inherent design flaws with the KE40 ultra. Not to mention having to make my own modifications and work arounds to safely operate the stove.

In conclusion, I hope this helps people make an informed decision before they decide on the stove combination for their home. I’m not hopeful, but of course it would be amazing if Blaze King could fix this problem and make it right. So that those who spend the extra money on their KE40 ultra can use it with safety and confidence!

If the videos don’t load, I will post some YouTube videos and add the links.

C5F8B103-AF1D-413E-83D9-7355D507FA94.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5272.MOV
    19.7 MB
  • IMG_5270.MOV
    17.8 MB
That is definitely not normal or safe. That would freak me out, especially in an earthquake. The stove should be rock solid on its base.

Yeah something's very wrong there and not typical. It actually looks to me like it's the bottom of the stove flexing

Last edited:
Is it the top of the base that is flexing?
There is actually no real top to the base/pedestal. It just has a small flange that attaches to the stove. There is definitely some flex in the pedestal but it is more at the lower portion. I believe most of the flex to be in the bottom plate of the stove itself.

2AB01EA3-95D5-4720-8F02-44E9DFF06A34.jpeg

Reactions: Hoytman
There is actually no real top to the base/pedestal. It just has a small flange that attaches to the stove. There is definitely some flex in the pedestal but it is more at the lower portion. I believe most of the flex to be in the bottom plate of the stove itself.

View attachment 299926
This was actually the original bass that came with the stove. They offered me a new one thinking it would solve the problem despite my attempts to explain what was really happening

E6450BF0-2B94-46EC-B4E7-036DF4A650E1.jpeg

I really think it's an issue with the bottom of the stove body not the pedestal. Did a dealer install it?

I agree! it’s definitely more at the bottom of the stove, but the pedestal does not help. The pedestal was under engineered to begin with. In addition, it looks like they have an even cheaper version they made, which is what they sent as a replacement in their weak attempt to make the problem better. The problem was measurably worse.

The dealer did not install it, I installed it. After about $7000 spent on the stove, pipe, and chimney. I had no money left.

The real heart of the issue is that blaze king VP is claiming that they assembled the exact model and pedestal combination and were able to produce the same amount of movement displayed in my videos. Moreover, that it was completely safe and a normal amount of movement.

The reality is that there is no way to properly install this stove in its condition from the factory.

Seems like the sheet metal is what imparts stability - but not enough. Sheet metal flexing should not make the stove move like this.

I hope they do correct this. It's not right. And it's evidently not the floor as the base of the base remains properly on the floor.

Seems like the sheet metal is what imparts stability - but not enough. Sheet metal flexing should not make the stove move like this.

I hope they do correct this. It's not right. And it's evidently not the floor as the base of the base remains properly on the floor.
Thank you for your response!

Literally all it would take is a couple small support joists between the outer shell and the inner shell of the stove box , where the pedestal attaches to the base of the stove

Reactions: stoveliker
Since installing the King King (KE40 ultra) October 2020 my understanding of wood stove efficiency, burn time, capacity and heat has been transformed! Especially over my older 1990 Quadra Fire. Im in north Idaho and I now light one fire a year, in October. I have no trouble keeping it going until spring. I had to light a fire every day with the Quadra fire. I considered the purchase a good investment and planned to yield the benefits for many years to come.

The improvements provided by the KE40 have been clouded by a problem I cannot ignore! The fire box and ultra base are a dangerous combination! The movement and deflection of the stove body, under normal use, is unbelievable! (See videos) Throughout my first winter use I was scratching my head every time I opened the door and put a piece of wood in. The stove wobbled upon opening the door and loading wood. In the past I would always keep a large pot of water on the stove to add moisture to the dry air. I was unable to do that as it would spill onto the wood stove, upon opening the door and loading. This is also another safety hazard that should not be ignored. Water on the glass door could easily cause a glass breakage that would lead to a runaway fire and other massive problem!

The flaws in the stove translate movement 15’ to my ceiling. This causes stress on every pipe seam screw. This double wall stainless pipe is not cheap and I’m experiencing wallowing out of the screw holes. It also causes unnecessary stress on the cathedral box. My largest concern is safety, the possibility of stove pipe failure, smoke filled house, or fire. It appears body of the stove was not properly engineered to support itself where the ultra pedestal attaches. In addition, there is noticeable movement in the base as well.

I have worked with blaze king Reps and VP at length, roughly 10 months. I was in no hurry as I expected BK to make it right. I had confident assurance from a rep that my BK40 should be like a marble pillar, that it should not move. Kinda like my 1990 QF.

I’m entering my third winter with the stove and no acceptable fix to the problem. I have been provided a new ultra base, which was even worse than the first, as it was with out a major support piece that was present on the first base. (See photo) I was also offered parlor legs and the ash box to go with it. The parlor legs would likely improve the problem. But, why are they selling their best, most expensive, king combination in a system that does not work safely or acceptably?

Over the course of describing this problem to blaze king I was given many suggestions/ solutions that had nothing to do with the root cause. I was told things like “ tighten the screws between the base and the stove, sent a video of me torquing every screw. They said “it’s not on a level surface”. They said the “floor needs more support”. I took the stove out of my home and bolted it to a cement slab with 4- 1/2 inch sleeve anchors. This made The inherent flaws even more obvious.

Now they quoted their “tip test” from PFS test labs and assured me that there is no safety hazard to my home. Moreover that they were able to assemble a KE 40 in there location and produce the same amount of movement that my videos show. Ignoring what they saw with their own eyes they claimed that this was an acceptable amount of movement. Acceptable in what way? I’ve spent a small fortune on their top-of-the-line stove. It is not safe or acceptable!

Blaze king initially acknowledged there was something wrong, as they offered a new base and other suggestions to make it better. In the end they’re now telling me that it’s completely normal and safe. The stove shakes and wiggles more than any chair, table, dresser or appliance I own. I now feel that I’m left with no choice but to warn the public.

While there are many positive attributes to what Blaze King has accomplished, I fear these attributes are rapidly becoming tainted by their efforts to save production costs and increase profit margins, as they become further disconnected from the end-user. I’m curious if the staff at Blaze King have a woodstove in their own home. If they would, in my shoes, consider this an acceptable situation.

Overall, I am frustrated and unsatisfied with this entire situation. I feel obligated to go through this process to inform the public. I see this is a product that I paid top dollar for and I expected it to work without issue. It’s been a ton of extra work and effort to document and illustrate the inherent design flaws with the KE40 ultra. Not to mention having to make my own modifications and work arounds to safely operate the stove.

In conclusion, I hope this helps people make an informed decision before they decide on the stove combination for their home. I’m not hopeful, but of course it would be amazing if Blaze King could fix this problem and make it right. So that those who spend the extra money on their KE40 ultra can use it with safety and confidence!

If the videos don’t load, I will post some YouTube videos and add the links.

View attachment 299906
I will contact the OP early next week to address this.

Chris
Yeah something's very wrong there and not typical. It actually looks to me like it's the bottom of the stove flexing
I’m just curious would, a chimney sweep company except this job to do a general stove pipe cleaning as is? Or would there be recommendations for repair before the sweep could be completed?

I’m just curious would, a chimney sweep company except this job to do a general stove pipe cleaning as is? Or would there be recommendations for repair before the sweep could be completed?
I would have to inspect further but yeah I would probably clean it. Has the dealer you bought it from been onsite?

I would have to inspect further but yeah I would probably clean it. Has the dealer you bought it from been onsite?
Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

The dealer has not been on site as they are “Out of town”. The cost to have them come look was somewhere between 300 and $500.

I did contact a dealer that was closer to my location. The particular dealer has been selling Blaze King‘s for over two decades and offered support after seeing what I was dealing with and was willing to help me with this case. They immediately contacted Blaze King to go to bat for me. Amazingly, it’s been a back-and-forth for almost a year with the end result of it being deemed completely safe and normal by blaze king.

Gotcha, thanks for the reply.

The dealer has not been on site as they are “Out of town”. The cost to have them come look was somewhere between 300 and $500.

I did contact a dealer that was closer to my location. The particular dealer has been selling Blaze King‘s for over two decades and offered support after seeing what I was dealing with and was willing to help me with this case. They immediately contacted Blaze King to go to bat for me. Amazingly, it’s been a back-and-forth for almost a year with the end result of it being deemed completely safe and normal by blaze king.
I mean I don't nessecarily see a safety issue. But it definitely isn't normal

The shear on the pipe would result in an unsafe situation, over time, even if the stove itself can withstand the shaking.

I mean I don't nessecarily see a safety issue. But it definitely isn't normal
Gotcha.

I guess I beg to differ on the safety aspect. The 15’ run of stove pipe wiggles like a noodle. If left alone, it would not take long for more damage to occur on each screw of every pipe joint.

In addition, I don’t think it’s easy on the cathedral box at the ceiling.

BDC0F51C-720E-4873-98F9-95E31EE7BB55.jpeg
I came up with this solution in efforts to improve the problem and not void my warranty. The bracket uses a factory heat shield screw. It makes the problem about 75% better.

Reactions: bholler
Gotcha.

I guess I beg to differ on the safety aspect. The 15’ run of stove pipe wiggles like a noodle. If left alone, it would not take long for more damage to occur on each screw of every pipe joint.

In addition, I don’t think it’s easy on the cathedral box at the ceiling.

View attachment 299990
I came up with this solution in efforts to improve the problem and not void my warranty. The bracket uses a factory heat shield screw. It makes the problem about 75% better.

Attachments

• IMG_2120.MOV
    11.5 MB
With a shake, rattle and roll like those videos show warranty should be a new stove in the future.

Reactions: Basic Dude
Bizarre to say the least! Does the shake happen when the blowers are both on and off?
Is the stove mounted in a above ground cabin/house built on pillers by chance? Trying to think how a bit of wind induced house/cabin movement could start the stove movement/oscillating etc. Especially with the long unsupported connector pipe. Grasping at straws here;lol
How much chimney is above the ceiling support? Is it braced above the roof penetration? A definite challenge to iron out! Good luck.

Reactions: Basic Dude