Blaze King King KE40 ultra base issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah that definitely does not look normal. To me it seems like it's the very bottom of the base that has all the flex in it. Is the bottom of the base hollow (as in just the circumference of the base rests on the floor), or does it have support bars down the middle?

I think it has to be an issue with the stove itself. I have the same ultra pedestal under my Princess (I believe they use the same pedestal for a few different stoves). Obviously the Princess is a smaller stove, but mine has zero wiggle.

I would have said the floor is the issue, but if the OP tried the same wiggle test on a concrete floor, then it has to be the stove.

Reactions: Hoytman
Bizarre to say the least! Does the shake happen when the blowers are both on and off?
Is the stove mounted in a above ground cabin/house built on pillers by chance? Trying to think how a bit of wind induced house/cabin movement could start the stove movement/oscillating etc. Especially with the long unsupported connector pipe. Grasping at straws here;lol
How much chimney is above the ceiling support? Is it braced above the roof penetration? A definite challenge to iron out! Good luck.
Hey thanks for the reply. The blowers make no difference. It would honestly probably be worse because there’s more weight/inertia to shake back-and-forth. That’s another thought, I removed the cat and the bricks to install it on a cement slab so adding all of that back would probably make the movement worse even yet.

I know the post is long but there’s videos of the stove mounted to a cement slab with 4-1/2 inch sleeve anchors on all four corners. I’m certain it’s not anything but the stove that’s the problem.

I Believe it’s about 3 feet of chimney. It exits the roof about 1 foot away from the ridge so there is no support needed other than a large galvanized cone. I have not had any issues with outside forces on the chimney or stove pipe. It all just boils down to general handling of the stove, opening the door, loading wood etc.

I think it has to be an issue with the stove itself. I have the same ultra pedestal under my Princess (I believe they use the same pedestal for a few different stoves). Obviously the Princess is a smaller stove, but mine has zero wiggle.

I would have said the floor is the issue, but if the OP tried the same wiggle test on a concrete floor, then it has to be the stove.
Thanks for the reply, yeah I’ve actually tested other princesses and the movement is nonexistent. I think it’s because it attaches much closer to the corners of the stove body making it exceedingly more rigid.

When the integrity of my floor was a question, I promptly provided picture documentation of the subfloor. The I ronic part is that the more rigid the floor the more the stove moves. So BK stubbornness to acknowledge the problem has magnified how bad it really is.

Every bit of documentation I provided to BK seemed to be disregarded. I’m honestly in shock that there’s still not acknowledging what’s really happening.

The Vice President said he'd contact you after the weekend. I'd reserve any further comments like that until after you've spoken to him.

BK is known (here) for their good service. So that it has gotten to this point is strange. Not right, and strange. I have hope that your contact early next week will be beneficial to the case.

All my interactions with BK have been positive as well. It’s actually one of the reasons I bought a BK stove, because of their customer service.

I’m looking forward to see the resolution also

Reactions: Basic Dude
The Vice President said he'd contact you after the weekend. I'd reserve any further comments like that until after you've spoken to him.

BK is known (here) for their good service. So that it has gotten to this point is strange. Not right, and strange. I have hope that your contact early next week will be beneficial to the case.
I appreciate your reply. Your probably right. I’ve just takin it slow, easy and nice for almost a year. I really don’t have the time to drag it out any longer. Just trying to document the process and provide accurate answers to questions.

Reactions: stoveliker
Any updates on what blaze king is going to do about this issue

Reactions: stoveliker
I've communicated with the OP and we are waiting to hear from dealer....

Reactions: stoveliker and Todd
My ke40 ultra is like a bobble head with out the connector or cold air intake hooked up. On concrete, the movement all comes from the bottom of stove itself. The base fits securely to the stove. The sheet metal where it attaches is where my movement comes from. I was worried at first but I have zero movement with everything hooked up. There was a new one sitting in home hardware and it had no movement(I went to check specifically). I bought mine used from the dealer so I figured it was just my bad luck. If I was worried I'd switch to the other bases, either one would have solved it 100 percent because they hook up on the four corners, not the sheet metal. I was also thinking the right length bolts that would touch the bottom of the stove itself so the sheet metal wasn't doing all the work would also solve it.

We working to satisfy the OP.

Hey thanks for the reply. The blowers make no difference. It would honestly probably be worse because there’s more weight/inertia to shake back-and-forth. That’s another thought, I removed the cat and the bricks to install it on a cement slab so adding all of that back would probably make the movement worse even yet.

I know the post is long but there’s videos of the stove mounted to a cement slab with 4-1/2 inch sleeve anchors on all four corners. I’m certain it’s not anything but the stove that’s the problem.

I Believe it’s about 3 feet of chimney. It exits the roof about 1 foot away from the ridge so there is no support needed other than a large galvanized cone. I have not had any issues with outside forces on the chimney or stove pipe. It all just boils down to general handling of the stove, opening the door, loading wood etc.
Even if the chimney above the roof (what little there is) was causing the inside pipe to gyrate like Elvis’s leg, there is no rhyme, reason, or excuse for the stove not to be solid. The stove top might wiggle by millimeters, but not by inches.

EDIT:
Come to think of it…
Bolting it to the concrete floor just eliminated any chance the outside chimney or the stove pipe could be the culprit. No dice! It also confirmed the problem as a design flaw in the stove because a concrete floor doesn’t move unless there’s an earthquake.

I’m willing to wager some supports in the bottom of the stove we’re not put in their proper place. No one, but two shaking stoves in this thread. Are their more?

Sounds like some stoves left the factory with some stove floor bracing missing.

OP please send me a pm with the final outcome on this in the event this thread gets closed.

Last edited:
Hopefully the resolution becomes public to help mitigate the immense damage that has been done to the stove’s reputation. For example, I sure as heck won’t buy or recommend anybody buy a king without seeing if it flops around like that.

This is supposed to be the KING!

Hopefully the resolution becomes public to help mitigate the immense damage that has been done to the stove’s reputation. For example, I sure as heck won’t buy or recommend anybody buy a king without seeing if it flops around like that.

This is supposed to be the KING!
It was addressed.

I must have missed the public resolution needed to undo the damage. Perhaps the OP wrote something? This thread needs closure. @Basic Dude

Same exact issue. Just spent $5,000 on a brand new stove that is wobbling all over the place. What a joke.
The ultra pedestal base is the cheapest most under engineered thing I have ever seen.

PM me your serial number/where purchased and your contact info please. Or email to cneufeld@blazekingcom

Reactions: loganlewis12
Same exact issue. Just spent $5,000 on a brand new stove that is wobbling all over the place. What a joke.
The ultra pedestal base is the cheapest most under engineered thing I have ever seen.
My KE40 wobbles also. With Mine if I get the Telescoping Stove Pipe just right it does not wobble as much. But is still wobbles when loading.I had the installer look at mine when I had him out replacing my chimney, he said it was flexing at the bottom of the stove and not the base. I never contacted BK about it.