Blazeking ashford 30.1 smoke smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
I have a blazeking ashford 30.1 and I have had the smoke smell from day one. Blazeking did replace the gasket that was supposed to fix the smell, it helped but not 100% I have burned with this stove for 8 years and I do love the stove and have learned to live with the smell. There is a metal washer/spacer that falls out every year somehow and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the smell. I will open my ash pan and I'll find the square washer randomly there. Anyone one else ever experience this? @BKVP

Also has there been any smoke smell issues with the 30.2?
20191016_185336.jpg

I don't know the stove. LOL about finding that washer. I guess it's not a new one every year, and you put it back where it came from. Tighten a bolt and it loosens up?

I think all stoves and chimneys have small leaks. But the draft causing negative pressure in the stove keeps it going up. Is the smoke smell just in start up?

I don't know the stove. LOL about finding that washer. I guess it's not a new one every year, and you put it back where it came from. Tighten a bolt and it loosens up?

I think all stoves and chimneys have small leaks. But the draft causing negative pressure in the stove keeps it going up. Is the smoke smell just in start up?
It's all the time. Not horrible but noticeable.

This has been a challenge on this stove for some. I know my wife would not be as tolerant of the smoke smell. Garlic yes, but she doesn't like smoke in the house.
Some folks found that the stove door was not in correct alignment causing an imperfect seal. Is the door gasket centered on the knife edge? You can tell this by the depression it creates in the gasket.

This has been a challenge on this stove for some. I know my wife would not be as tolerant of the smoke smell. Garlic yes, but she doesn't like smoke in the house.
Some folks found that the stove door was not in correct alignment causing an imperfect seal. Is the door gasket centered on the knife edge? You can tell this by the depression it creates in the gasket.
I do believe it has something to do with the seal. It's not centered top to bottom. It's also not even on the top or bottom so I can't make an adjustment without throwing off the opposite side. I'll try to find a picture.

This is a picture of the top part of the door gasket. If I raise the door any it will throw off the bottom seal.

Screenshot_20230113_115953_Gallery.jpg

I have a blazeking ashford 30.1 and I have had the smoke smell from day one. Blazeking did replace the gasket that was supposed to fix the smell, it helped but not 100% I have burned with this stove for 8 years and I do love the stove and have learned to live with the smell. There is a metal washer/spacer that falls out every year somehow and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with the smell. I will open my ash pan and I'll find the square washer randomly there. Anyone one else ever experience this? @BKVP

Also has there been any smoke smell issues with the 30.2?
View attachment 307623
I responded to your pm....

That could be the issue. The impression is not centered on the gasket. It's worth taking pictures all around and sending them to BK for review.

The door gasket has helped out in some small number of cases. But adding liners, meeting minimum length etc also solved the other few. The OP's issue is confounding. The four shims are installed behind a vertical flange on the left edge and right edge. They are not near the firebox opening or the ash drawer. How they end up there is mind boggling.