Bloomberg for "Green" President?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/biz/4796254.html

NEW YORK — Despite constant denials that he is running for president, Mayor Michael Bloomberg laid out a national energy plan today in a speech in Houston and took veiled jabs at his potential opponents, accusing them of "politics as usual."

The Republican billionaire outlined an energy plan that proposes creating profit motives for reducing greenhouse gas emissions, building new wind farms and nuclear plants, phasing out the incandescent light bulb and setting early deadlines to accomplish these goals.

Bloomberg, who recently launched an effort to drastically reduce pollution by 2030 in New York City, suggested that those who set later deadlines like 2050 and 2070 are afraid to do the work and make the commitments now.

Bloomberg Quit the GOP today and decried the state of partisan politics in America - he spoke at Google while they turned on their new 1.6 million watt solar array and also announced help for plug-in hybrids. The Govinator (Arnold) was with him, and said Bloomberg would make a fine presidential candidate.

Interesting - a man with a plan (energy and otherwise) who actually knows how to get things done......can it ever happen?

I think he'd make the race a lot more interesting, but I'd like to know a lot more about his international perspective and his take on the powers of the presidency and constitutional law. He's a man with cash, lots of it. I guess that make him green, the color of money. But it also means he doesn't need anyone's else's money (and commitments) to run.

He is highly regarded in NYC as a man who gets things done - and not with authoritarian force like Guliani, but with good business decisions and bringing people together. After all, the bottom line is that most people want the same thing, you just have to show them why your policy will be the best thing for them.

He is also very green in both his talk and walk.....hybrid cabs coming to NYC, consideration of traffic calming by having a congestion fee, etc.

I would definitely consider voting for the guy if he had a chance. It would be great to see a chief executive who could actually work with congress and not favor one party or the other.

A guy who built a mult-billion dollar corp. from scratch and who wants to apply that logic to both the green movement and healing the divides in this country makes some sense.

Webmaster said:
He is highly regarded in NYC as a man who gets things done - and not with authoritarian force like Guliani, but with good business decisions and bringing people together. After all, the bottom line is that most people want the same thing, you just have to show them why your policy will be the best thing for them.

He is also very green in both his talk and walk.....hybrid cabs coming to NYC, consideration of traffic calming by having a congestion fee, etc.

I would definitely consider voting for the guy if he had a chance. It would be great to see a chief executive who could actually work with congress and not favor one party or the other.

A guy who built a mult-billion dollar corp. from scratch and who wants to apply that logic to both the green movement and healing the divides in this country makes some sense.

On the Hybrid cabs idea, in talking to several people I work with who own hybrids, the first point is that you need to understand the vehicle pretty well in order to get the higher MPG out of them. Also, they're looking at the Ford Escape as the Hybrid of choice, and they don't get nearly the MPG advertised, yet cost significantly more than a base Escape, what about battery disposal etc. (The battery disposal stuff has not been discussed much from what I can tell... any links anyone?) NYC cabbies aren't the sort to get in touch with the vehicle much, so I don't think they Escapes would hold up, nor get the MPG. I think they would have been much better off allowing use of something like a VW TDI as a way towards better MPG for cabs. How about a purpose built vehicle that uses a drive train suited towards cab use? (a hybrid with a diesel or Turbine would do a lot better than even a Prius) This is a classic case of not thinking the whole thing through. Kinda like when Brainiac Chuck Shumer claimed there was a technology that would save the planet's resources... He wanted to supercool all the long distance electric transmission lines. Hey, Good Plan Chuck!

So what party does Bloomberg work for now?

The next president is inheriting a real mess, domestically and internationally. I believe that Bloomberg may have the chops for the domestic scene, especially with Ron Paul as his VP (my plug). But I want to know a lot more about his international perspective before he gets my vote. If he's leaning towards a Lieberman style VP then I'm heading out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.