Boiler or add on furnace in need of pro cons and opioions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kscowboy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 30, 2009
kansas
Found that it could cost up 3500 to 4500 to install add on furnace includes furnace(28-3500). Work with a guy who installed auqa therm system himself for about 5000. thanks for your responce

kscowboy said:
Found that it could cost up 3500 to 4500 to install add on furnace includes furnace(28-3500). Work with a guy who installed auqa therm system himself for about 5000. thanks for your responce
I think the cost is a little high for a 28-3500. I have one from Lowes under the other name that I cant think of right now and with triple wall pipe from Mendards it cost me around $2000. My buddy installed it for me since I don't have good use of my left leg and I gave him a couple of hundred. I hammer drilled the hole in my poured wall and it was not much work after that.

Unless your running a lot of pipe outside and duct work inside, I would think you could stay under $3000 for sure.

Shipper

stove was bout 1200 the rest was a rough quote for a chimney liner install

I think go with what you got, so if you have a boiler heating your house, use a boiler, if you have forced air, use an add on furnace. 3500 seems a little low to me, 4500 probably legitimate. If you put in a boiler, everyone on this site seems to think you need storage ( I don't have a boiler, so only quoting what I have read), so consider that cost to your boiler cost also.

If you spend 300 / mo in propane for 5 months of the year, you save 1500 or so / year (at current prices, last year you were spending 450 / month), so you'll pay back in 3- 5 years, depending on what you spend, maybe a little more if you consider the saw, gas ....

kscowboy said:

i spent around 1300 for the 28-3500 then another grand or so on ss triple wall pipe and fixtures ,did it myself no big deal really, its not rocket science .I did it last year and by my calculations ,it has already paid for itself! pretty hard to beat that

kscowboy said:
stove was bout 1200 the rest was a rough quote for a chimney liner install
I am not sure what an liner would cost and depends on how long and high your chimney is, but I would shop around for quotes and see how they compare. If I read this right, the liner is going to cost you over $2000? That is too much in my opinion.

Shipper

I would have liner from the basment up to the actic where i would have to connect to it using class A as part of the chimney was removed from previous owner

Status
Not open for further replies.