Boiler pressure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BigJ273

Minister of Fire
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Just looking for a little guidance. I have an oil fired HP Smith boiler. Single story home. My high is set at about 183 and my low at about 158. My pressure sits between 18-21 when it’s hot. Is this normal/ok? Or should pressure be lower? My relief valve kicks in at 30

In my experience it’s a little high. Are you sure the gauge is correct?

In my experience it’s a little high. Are you sure the gauge is correct?
Same gauge has been there for at least 16 years. Just recently had to repair a pipe, so we had to drain it and refill. The prob is I have no idea what it read before. So I’m just checking to see if it’s good now

pressure sits between 18-21 when it’s hot. Is this normal/ok?
That's exactly where we run the boiler at work...any less and it adds makeup water when it cools down, then after that the pressure tends to be too high when it heats back up (30 PSI relief also)

That's exactly where we run the boiler at work...any less and it adds makeup water when it cools down, then after that the pressure tends to be too high when it heats back up (30 PSI relief also)
Sounds like it could use more expansion?

Reactions: Highbeam
Sounds like it could use more expansion?
Kinda what I thought too...but I asked the manufacture's tech about it when he was there a couple years ago, he said nope, they still build 'em the exact same way...well, ok then! :)