Boiler return pipe heights into a storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mousebndr

Aug 5, 2011
Australia
Hi All

I have a pressurised storage tank, it has many ports to connect up to (every 25cm down) spaced alternately on the left and right sides.

I am using the top most port for the radiator loop, which makes me want to use the connection second from the top for the boiler return, so about 25cm lower than the top most connection.

Does anyone think this would make the system perform any poorer it being that little bit lower?

David

You want the boiler return to come off the bottom so the water returning to the boiler is the coldest.
I would then hook the supply to the very top port.

Hi All

I have a pressurised storage tank, it has many ports to connect up to (every 25cm down) spaced alternately on the left and right sides.

I am using the top most port for the radiator loop, which makes me want to use the connection second from the top for the boiler return, so about 25cm lower than the top most connection.

Does anyone think this would make the system perform any poorer it being that little bit lower?

David

When you say 'boiler return', do you mean going from storage back to the input of the boiler? Or do you perhaps mean the line from the outlet of the boiler (hot) to input at storage ('supply')? If you really did mean cold return back to the boiler input, as woodsmaster said, you want that off the bottom of storage.

When you say 'boiler return', do you mean going from storage back to the input of the boiler? Or do you perhaps mean the line from the outlet of the boiler (hot) to input at storage ('supply')? If you
really did mean cold return back to the boiler input, as woodsmaster said, you want that off the bottom of storage.

No I mean the hot water line from the boiler

No I mean the hot water line from the boiler

OK, that's most often referred to as the boiler supply line. That should go in as close to the top as possible. 25cm down is likely not optimum, but might work out. How high is the tank? Is it a vertical tank or horizontal? You could also maybe T both into the top fitting.

OK, that's most often referred to as the boiler supply line. That should go in as close to the top as possible. 25cm down is likely not optimum, but might work out. How high is the tank? Is it a vertical tank or horizontal? You could also maybe T both into the top fitting.

It's 2m high, so the connector i have in mind is about 1.8m

My alternative is to use the top connector for the boiler supply and then use the hole in the very top (the roof) for the radiators

Status
Not open for further replies.