Boiler Stoves ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

Hearth Supporter
Apr 27, 2008
NEW JERSEY
Hi all you experts - I am from the UK, and now that I am trying to find a good replacement for a rusty old leaking oil boiler in my house in PA, I am researching what's is/isnt available.
Searching with Google I am finding that everything that has the remotest interest to me is from Europe - namely Boiler stoves, oil/wood/multi-fuel, with 'back boilers' that can run central heating AND DHW - and none of them are available over here - why ?? - the rules over there are even fussier than they are here so I really don't understand this - except maybe in the context of keep em having to have 2 appliances instead of 1 ??
- plus the boilers produced here are all so huge and clunky - nothing sleek and something you want to actually look at every day - get with the plan manufacturers - we can all see everything that's available and I for one am NOT a happy camper with the choices here !!
Anyone have any suggestions ( apart from the expected 'go home then' ) ??
Otherwise I suggest to all stove shops and distributors that you start researching the stuff that's available to the rest of the world and be the first to stock up or make your own version !!
Everyone is trying to find the same thing - something that saves money, is efficient , looks good and doesn't take up a huge chunk of space.
My needs really are : Oil/Pellet/Wood (coal also?) appliance that can run without power that includes a boiler for DHW AND could run 3/4 radiators for background warmth - if only one boiler I could add an indirect hot water tank - I found one that won't corrode made of some type of plastic :)>)
( I have a pellet stove that is a dream, but is heat only of course)
If any stove shop out there can help me please let me know !!
- grumpy in New Jersey !!

moved to boiler room.

parlor boilers?

I remember seeing a bunch of these at the ISH show in Germany last year. A small good looking wood/ pellet stove with built in water jacket for DHW or small hydronic loads. Buderus and other large familiar manufacturers offer them.

I suspect the market has been too small over here to make it profitable to convert, list, and sell them over here.

Wood burning inside the home is frowned upon by some homeowner insurance policies also.

Too bad, it seems like the best place to have a wood burner, inside the living space to recoop much of the thermal energy. Energy prices may see more of that technology entering the US of A.

hr

Hi VC

I have been looking for one of these myself. I touched upon it briefly in this thread and I haven't had much luck.

Here in the US there are some really old stoves and some newer cook stoves which have a water jacket but not a boiler. If you look hard you might be able to find a Tirolia which are Austrian cook stoves imported into the US in the late 1970's. They look like this and didn't have a ton of heating capacity ~30K BTU if I recall but enough that you could move some of the stove's heat to rooms farther out.

Of course being from the UK you certainly could find those stoves over there but they are generally pretty costly. Someone here recently showed a site from Poland which I think had some listings on eBay, and it might be worth looking into for you.

These are some of their boilers for sale which are essentially the parlor boilers Master of Sparks was mentioning. You will note this one pretty much fits the bill for what you might be looking for since it's also only about 25K BTU. I think the smaller housing sizes in Europe have a lot to do with the scaling and output of those boilers.

I have sent a few emails to the company and they have been very good at getting back in touch. I was quoted something like $700-$1,000 for shipping for a smaller Atmos boiler, and then there would be some VAT issues but given that we're outside the EU I think any VAT paid would eventually be refunded.

Even with the shipping. If $761 is the price for something like that it might be a good enough deal to pursue. But, I would want to check that the instructions were translated into English at some point and that spare parts were readily available. I think these stoves would be big enough to be exempt from some of the EPA regs but that should be checked out as well. I have a few more leads in some other files. If I find them I'll post them.

I think the small market and need for testing has put the brakes on this type of stove here - among other things. Colebrookdale at one time imported the Much Wenlock with a back boiler.

You might be (pleasantly) surprised at the cost that a single stove can be shipped over here for - either air freight or by sea. It is not as crazy as it might seem, especially if you can find a good deal for the stove over in England.

Waterford from Ireland has some:
http://www.waterfordstanley.com/Products/1099.htm

Aga has one also:
http://www.aga-rayburn.co.uk/887.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.