Boiler temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

will82

Oct 25, 2015
Massachusetts
Trying to decide what is the best temperature to set my boiler. I have baseboard heat throughout the house. I am in Worcester mass and at the beginning of the heating season. I recently sent it at 150F to try to save on energy cost. And when the weather gets colder I will turn it up to 170 or 180. Not sure if this is the right thing to do or not. Will that save me on my gas bill?

What kind of boiler? Does it heat your DHW also? If it doesn't, you might be able to turn it off all together when not heating the house with it. Otherwise what you're doing sounds Ok.

I have my lowest setting at around 110, circularor kicks in at around 130, hIgh shutdown at 180.....I also reduced my nozzle to .65GPM..this is all to extend the cycle times in heating season. Note they RECOMMEND a minimum of 140 as that is the temp below which you can get condensation inside the combustion chamber where the hot gases meet the cooler water jacket, however if you regularly exceed the 140 in most cycles, you will burn off the condensate anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.