Boiler with storage setup. Thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Thinking about a setup for my shop. It's 30x30 with 10 ft ceilings. Insulated but by no means air tight. Was thinking of installing a wood boiler with a 250-275 gallon storage. Would use a water to air heat exchanger, not sure of actual dimensions but was removed from a home forced air furnace setup. Think this would work? Got a bunch of baseboard emitters that I could add if needed. Looking to heat shop when i am in there and help keep temp from dropping too much overnight.

The storage tank is quite small for typical boiler and conventional radiators. 500 is usually minimum and more is better.

What boiler, is yet to be determined. Most likely be an older unit. What should I look for?

Got the ok from insurance to have woodburner in there.

What boiler, is yet to be determined. Most likely be an older unit. What should I look for?

Got the ok from insurance to have woodburner in there.

I would say most any 'ordinary' 'old school' water jacketed boiler won't benefit much from storage. If any at all. Very inefficient and likely won't be able to generate extra heat to send to storage. Mine had it's hands over full just heating our house, storage would have been useless. One with tubes would likely do better but you need to stay on top of cleaning it. Which is a big PITA with some designs.

Reactions: Gearhead660
Open flame and gasoline vapors for starters.
Up here it's ok to have a wood burner in a shop with vehicals/gas so long as the air intake is 18" off the floor

Reactions: Highbeam
What would I need for the setup to heat successfully?
I have a few of the items, that's why I was thinking about it. If it will be too much trouble, I will stick with a furnace.

We've been heating the 32X32X12' shop at our farm for my whole lifetime with just a double barrel wood stove... (I know, not boiler related) Shop has fairly lousy insulation, and drafty sliding doors etc.. But in an hour or so the wood stove will heat the shop to comfortable working temps.. We just keep it above freezing by lighting a fire in it once a day.. Twice if it's single digits.
Honestly if it's a place with lots of flammable vapors you don't want it sealed up too tight! lol But I've spray painted tractors, wheels, various equipment in there in the winter many times and never blown myself up.. Just crack a door in either side while actually painting, then when done let the fumes out before closing doors and getting the fire cranking again to dry the paint. :)
I would hesitate to put a water filled boiler in because then you absolutely have to keep it above freezing, and if you mess up the whole thing it toast... In our shop worst thing that happens is a water line freezes and busts.. Also with a simple double barrel stove, you are getting heat out of it after 5 minutes of burning... With a boiler it takes forever...