Q&A Books on Woodstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Until recently I knew nothing about wood stoves. My wife and I are having a house built and we will be installing a wood stove. We have been looking at companies (Vermont Casting- Waterford- Hearthstone...) and gathering info. First off- I have learned much by reading your digest pages. From this I have learned about a lot I did not know (class A chims- barametric draft controls- reverse flows- etc). However- I realize now how little I do know...thus my question.
1) is there a good book to explain "all there is to know about wood stoves?"Also- can any builder install a new wood stove or should we bring in someone special for the installation
2) How do I know which dealer to go with. It seems from the digest pages that many people get "wrong" advise or "bad" advise from their local dealers. I am afraid we will pick the wrong dealer and have costly problems to fix.

Answer:

Good Woodheat Books - Not at the moment...but if you can find some older ones in the library "Wood Heat Safety" and Woodburners Encyclopedia" by Jay Shelton.First- make certain the dealer is a member of HPA (our trade group). This- at the least- shows they care about education and other concerns. Then- make certain they've been around for awhile. Many stores have been in the business for 20 years or more..this is also a good sign. A store that has "in-house" installation may be technically savvy.You're probably better off with a qualified installer...there are a lot of little tricks and codes to apply. Any good store should be able to recommend one for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.