Bosca Spirit 500 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gymrat0663

Feb 2, 2012
South Central Pennsylvania
I am three days into using my Bosca Spirit 500 and am loving it. I've not burned a drop of oil in almost three days and my house is warmer now than it was before.

I will be adding a thermostat, but am still in the learning process with the manual setting.

Here's my only problem. We've been getting great results burning the stove on Setting #2. When retiring for the night, I've moved the stove to Setting #1 to save pellets. However, the stove only runs for about 4 hours or so on that setting and then shuts down. The fault it shows is the #3 light flashing which is an air issue among other things, however those things would affect the overall operation of the stove and not just the first setting. I've placed the damper for that setting as per the manual. Last night, I set the stove to Setting #1 about two hours before I went to bed and was pleased with the fire in the stove when I went to bed. It was a nice low fire, but was not just smoldering. I also have fresh air coming in from the outside to the stove.

Thanks in advance for any info you may give.

Steve

Its possible the fire is to small and not keeping enough heat to keep the unit running?

Does the Bosca use a snap disc, photo eye, or thermocouple to sense the fire? If its a snap disc, maybe the stove is just "cooling" until it shuts down?

Thats my 1st thought on a low burn.....

Please read pages 20 and 21 of the installation manual and then tell us how you set the stove for heat range 1 including if you left the convection fan on high?

ETA: Page 20 to the list.

how much vertical run do you have? may not be enough?

I've never had the #1 setting work for me either, it does not put enough pellets in to sustain a fire.then the temp drops and the stove shuts off due to not producing heat(snap disk) the #3 flashing light is the stove thinking it is out of pellets and shutting down it thinks its out of pellets when its not. there is just not enough pellets to sustain fire on setting 1. I think its 0.75 lbs an hour on setting 1 I leave mine on #2 with the thermostat on 74 and have had no issues in fact for the price I love the stove.

You must reduce your damper setting and make certain your stove is past the chance of overheating and then turn the fan out of override.

Your stove requires mucking around with the damper when you change firing rates.

I too have had the same issue and I think what Karl said is spot on. For me it's not a big deal, because at night time the temperature dips (obviously) and for me, putting the stove on 1 is pointless because it doesn't put out enough heat anyway and just dirties up my glass.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Karl, I did play around with the reset trim and the damper immediately after my post and the stove ran great. I adjusted the "reset trim" to the highest setting which seemed to satisfy the need for the appropriate amount of fuel. I've since turned the stove back up to Setting #2 as it was getting a bit cool in here. I love this stove!

One other question for you Karl if you don't mind (and anyone else with a Bosca Spirit 500). I've been reading the feed rate is about 1.75 pounds per hour on Setting #2. Do you find that to be the case as well?

Thanks!

I have been burning mine at setting #2, 24/7 average about a bag a day which is about 1.7/hr

Burning at setting #1 always seemed like i had too much air and if not enough pellets came out at one time the fire would go out. Once the stove had a build up in the ash pot from putting it on setting #2 for awhile the stove would burn better on setting#1. In other words the stove got dirty plugged some hole in the burn pot and it burned better for awile but thats not a solution.

Yes setting 2 is the best for a everyday setting as i will get about a bag every 24 hours. i reserve the #3 setting fo 20 degrees and below and then she comes alive and throws the heat no need for the 4th setting which your only allowed to run 1 hour at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.