Bought avalon astoria wood smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
slickplant35 said:
So what your saying is even if it was loose I shouldn't have smelled anything? When it was loose and you put your head by the stove to look in the back you would choke. Once tightened you don't smell anything.
Well last night I wanted to start the stove up to make sure and for some reason when I pushed the auto on the thermostat the stove come on but won't feed pellets I read somewhere in the book about heat output but you know what I paid him for the stove I am not going to make myself nuts. Just hope the stove works thats all.

While the guys fight it out :roll:.....

No, you should not be getting a smell through the OAK, outside air kit, regardless of whether or not it was tight. What it sounds like is that on the exterior wall the end of the exhaust vent and the end of the OAK are too close together and as a result the OAK is drawing exhaust inside rather than clean air. This could be installer error or it could be because of prevailing winds. Either way, the easiest fix would be to remove the cap on the exhaust, add a 90* elbow, and a couple of feet of vertical pipe to move the exhaust gas away from the fresh air source.

It makes no difference how much you paid for the stove. It's a combustion source sitting inside your house and you need to be familiar with how it works. Read the manual! ;-)

My husband told me the same thing you just told me. Well now that it's tightened I don't smell a thing. Should I still have him move it?

Status
Not open for further replies.